Chapter 8

It's been five minutes of them just staring at Ben play with his cat.

"You know, I get that sometimes parents can be overprotective. But the silent staring is starting to get kind of creepy." Ben says suddenly.

The young parents chuckle sharing a look of understanding.

"Do you want some coffee?" Lydia asks Stiles secretly hoping he'd say yes, so they can talk in the privacy of the kitchen.

"Yeah, sure." Stiles says getting up from the couch.

They walk quietly to the kitchen. Stiles sits on one of the stools and watches Lydia making the coffee. Felling his gaze, Lydia turns around.

"So." Stiles says.

"So" she replies watching him sigh.

"Okay, I have a lot of questions." He says challenging her. She knows what he's doing. He's not going to win now. Everything he wants to know, she's going to tell him. Lydia has nothing to hide. Specially from Stiles.

"Then I'll be sure to give a lot of answers." She bites back.

"Firstly. When is his birthday?" Stiles begins.

"A little after yours actually, April 15th."

"What was his first word?" He came prepared, she notices.

"Wolf." She says

"Why wolf?" Stiles asks

"Because every time I put him to sleep- I still do actually- I tell him stories about some friendly wolves I have met." Lydia says with a smile.

"How old was he when he took his first steps?" At this point she thinks he might take a notebook out of his pocket with more questions.

"Nine months."

"Wow! That's advanced." He proudly states.

"It's our son after all."

"Yeah" he laughs "It makes sense." He stays quiet for a minute.

"Okay, what else do you want to know?" Lydia asks after a while.

"I want to take Ben to spend some weekends in my house. If that's okay" Stiles says hesitantly.

Her heart clenched at the thought of her baby away from her, even for a few days. But she understands that Ben doesn't have only one present parent anymore. Stiles has the right to ask that.

"Where do you live? Is it safe? Do you live alone? Is there any windows? Can you cover your outlets? He may be really smart, but he's still a kid." Lydia says frantically.

Stiles can help but chuckle. "Lyds," both pause at the old nickname "Err calm down okay." He says "I live close to Manhattan, it's safe, besides I'm practically a cop. I live with...with my girlfriend in a two bedroom apartment. He'll have his own bedroom and everything. I can close the windows when he comes by and I don't think Ben would stick his finger in a outlet. Has he ever done this before?"

"No," she signs "You're right, I'm just freaked out you know. He's never slept at anybody's house before besides my mother's. So, this is new to me." Lydia says.

"It's okay, I get it." Stiles says. They stare at each other for a while. For some reason Lydia couldn't stop herself looking at him.

When the silence becomes suffocating, she has to intervene.

"Uum is it okay with your girlfriend Ben sleeping there?" Even if she didn't really care what his girlfriend thought. She had to ask. It hurts that he's dating somebody who's not her again. But that's her own fault. She went through in High School, so she can do again now.

"I haven't talked to her about it yet. But I'm sure she wouldn't have anything against it." Stiles replies.

"That's great then." Lydia says putting on a fake smile.

"So, it's okay then. Me taking him for a couple of days?"

"Yeah, if he's up to it. It's fine by me." Even if she won't rest anytime during those days. She trusts Stiles, but he's a dad for barely a week and she has been a mom for almost six years. He could have a fever, cut his forehead, what if his throat gets swollen. Does Stiles knows how to deal with that?

"Shall we ask him now?" Stiles says cutting her thoughs. He sounds nervous now, like he's not sure if the little boy would want to stay with him.

He shouldn't be. She knows that young boy already loves Stiles so much. He's always wanted a dad, always asking about him. Stiles already was his hero, even before they met each other. With Stiles caring and playful nature she's sure they are going to be more than father and son, they are going to be best friends.