He took another swig of water. His body and its wanton desires were not the issue. Neither was access to fulfilling said desires. The issue was that he was Captain America. And Captain America had responsibilities. Captain America had to train Avengers, assemble teams, schedule training sessions, run through drills, liaise with agents from governmental agencies, come up with tactical strategies, lead teams to take down Hydra cells, debrief missions, check in on the team and complete all the paperwork that Maria Hill demanded, on time. Captain America had no time to spare for much else beyond fighting the good fight which left Steve Rogers with very little time for romance. At that thought, he felt a familiar knot of pain and guilt in his chest.

Sam sat next to him.

"Listen, Cap. I'm going to tell you something, and you might not like what I have to say."

"What is it?"

"You need to get laid."

He stared at Sam.

"What do you old guys call it? Fonduing?"

"I got it the first time you said it, Sam."

Sam grinned. "It doesn't have to be with Alina. I can see you like her too much for just that."

Steve paused. Was it really that obvious?

"But it has to be with someone. Alright? You can't keep on keeping on, all by yourself."

Steve shook his head, feeling heat rush to his cheeks. He couldn't help but smile at Sam's badgering. His friend just wanted the best for him. He got up from the bench.

"Ok, that's enough of a break, soldier. Let's do another fifteen minutes, and then we can get back to the compound for training."

Sam stood up.

"I'm gonna pay for everything I just said, aren't I?"

"Yup."
***
Sunday afternoon training with Sam passed by with relative ease. He showed Sam a few new jiu-jitsu takedowns, relishing in the demonstration portion as revenge for all the teasing he was subjected to earlier that day.

He was walking back to his room when he thought he heard music. He felt his heartbeat quicken.

Before he knew what he was doing, Steve had taken the elevator and was walking across the compound towards the conservatory. Sure enough, Alina was at the piano, playing a song and humming to herself.

He stood at the door for a little bit, watching her play. She had a shawl wrapped around her shoulder, and her dark hair was down. He was hoping she would notice his presence, but she had her back to him and seemed engrossed in the tune she was playing. He cleared his throat. She jumped.

"What the...Steve? You scared me."

"I'm sorry. I was just getting out of the gym with Sam, and I heard music playing."

"The gym? Isn't that all the way across the compound?"

He smiled. "Super hearing," he said, tapping at his ear.

"Oh." She paused. "Ok."

Something flit across her face — fear? confusion?— before disappearing just as quickly.

"Does that mean you can hear it when I play the music wrong?"

He laughed and walked inside the room. To his delight, Alina made room for him on the piano bench, a silent invitation to join her. He took a seat next to her, careful to maintain a respectful distance.

"Nah. It just means I can hear beautiful music when it's playing."

She blushed at that and turned to look back at the piano, fiddling with a few keys.