chapter twenty-two

22 ; THE LAST FIVE

22 ; THE LAST FIVE

How about a thank you, twelve?

─ 𝑪𝒂𝒕𝒐 𝑯𝒂𝒅𝒍𝒆𝒚

───────────────────

I quickly get into the water to get over to Peeta. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" Cato screams after me in anger before I hear him getting into the cold water as well while he curses under his breath.

I breath heavily once I reach the other side, I lay down my bow and my wet backpack when I reach Peeta's side. The boy from my District breaths just as fast as I do when I kneel down. Peeta camouflaged himself with mud. His eyes are wide but he doesn't say anything. I can tell he's afraid.

"Peeta, I'm not here to harm you."

I whisper in order to calm him down when Cato stands next to me, still holding around his sword. Cato's face is clean again, the water washed the blood away. His hair is now sticking to his wet forehead while he glares at Peeta.

"Neither will Cato."

I look up at Cato, hoping he would trust me. He nods after he shot me a glare before his ice blue eyes go back to Peeta.

I study Peeta to spot where he's hurt to use the Sponsor's gift, when I see the wound on his leg. I quickly reach over to open my backpack and get out the medicine and Peeta's jacket.

I hand the jacket over and Peeta still keeps quiet while glancing now and then at Cato.

"What is that? And where did you get his jacket from?"

I ignore Cato's questions and put the medicine on Peeta's wound instead. I carefully spread the cream all over the wound while Peeta closes his eyes in pain when I touch his wound.

I quickly clean my hands in the cold lake when I got the cream covering the whole wound when Cato speaks up again. "How about a thank you, twelve?" I turn around to shot Cato a glare before my eyes wander over to Peeta. He sits up slowly and looks at me before brining his index finger to his throat, tapping on it while he still keeps quiet. He tries to tell us something.