Chapter 52: On Fire

Depuis le début

“You’re weird,” He said.

She avoided his eyes, “How?”

He stepped towards the breakfast bar and grabbed a cloth to help her clean up the goddamn mess. “You’re distracted. Have been all week. You’re setting things on fire, you’re constantly-”

“Thanks, Sherlock…” She muttered, bending down and wiping the foam up from the floor before she dumped the pan in the sink.

“What’s wrong?” He was now genuinely concerned. Usually she was quite open with him.

Sighing, she raised her knuckles and brushed them over her lips, as if she weren’t sure she was going to reveal her secret. After a moment she lowered them. “You know how I had to leave the tour a little early because I had a photo-shoot.” He nodded, slowly. “The photographer… he was my father.”

He blinked, barely able to process what she just said, “What? You’re…” She just nodded and rinsed off the cloth, trying not to look at him. “Well… fuck.”

She chuckled, “That’s an accurate description.”

He ran one hand through his wet hair. “What the hell happened? Start from the beginning.”

While cleaning the floor, she began to explain how she’d arrived and done a normal photo-shoot and how she’d looked in some of his albums, that she’d assumed was some of his other works and found that he’d been keeping tabs on all the work she’d modelled in. When she was done, the place looked much cleaner as he sat down on the high kitchen stool.

“No shit… he apologized?” He scoffed. She bit her bottom lip and nodded. “Was he sincere?”

“I think so…” She seemed confused about the whole situation.

He couldn’t imagine the stress this was putting on her. If his father had pulled something like that and he found out about it, he would have knocked the guy out cold… but Riley’s situation was different to his. He felt like she still wanted to have that connection with her father, which was the exact opposite of what he wanted.

“What do you think about it?” He asked curiously as he leaned over and flicked on the kettle. Riley grabbed out some mugs and began dispensing coffee into them.

“I don’t know,” She said simply. “He sounded so… hurt. And I don’t understand because he’s the one that left me, not the other way around. And I get where his coming from but it doesn’t change what he did.”

“Does it change how you want to go about this? You seem like you want to a relationship with him...” He noted.

She gave him a conflicted look. “But you-”

“Riley, this isn’t my dad or my situation. If you think he deserves another chance, give him one. If you don’t, then stay away from him. I don’t want you making your life decisions based one mine. That’ll make a huge fucking mess,” He insisted.

She smirked, “Bigger than the one I just cleaned up?” He nodded, firmly. She rested her elbows on the counter across from him, eyeing off the kettle that was still boiling. “Maybe I should give him a chance… I’d want someone to give me a little bit of grace if I did something wrong.”

He sat back in the chair, “There you go.”

At that moment the intercom rang out, “Riley! It’s Mark! Let me up!”

Marshall launched out of his chair and got there before she did. He held down the button, ignoring Riley’s ‘Don’t be a Dick’ face. “Sorry, asshole! We don’t take male prostitutes.” Riley rolled her eyes and had a coy smile.