"If you didn't evolve, then does that mean there were no primates or early cell life?"

Alacor broke out of his stare down with his daughter and glanced to me before busying himself with the blackboard, drawing out a diagram of a rough timeline.

"There are no primates here, no monkeys, chimps or apes of any kind. The cell life is a different story but I do not have the knowledge to explain it to you, so we will return to the history of this world."

The rest of the lesson was pretty uneventful, Alacor went through a whole range of events and dates that he made us write down. He told us about some of the influential and notable people in Nentarli's history, one of which included Merkell and we ended up in quite a discussion about his accomplishments.

I felt like I knew everything about Merkell's magical and professional life but there was nothing about his personal life. When I asked Alacor about it, he told us that nobody knew who Merkell's family were. At first I found that strange but once I thought about it, it made sense with the enemies he had made. Characters in my books always made the mistake of letting their enemies know who their loved ones were, their most vulnerable part.

We went on to discuss the battle of the Sectors in more detail and the guys chimed in with what they all knew. I was starting to get the full picture and the lesson was one of the most interesting things we'd done since arriving at the house. By the end, we had been given homework to memorise dates and events for the next time we had a lesson with Alacor.

The five of us split up to do our own thing once we were outside of the classroom. Emy and I headed to our suites while the guys wandered off without much to say. I grabbed a book from the bookshelf in my suite and headed in to keep Emy company while she worked on her first outfit. I couldn't get away from the feeling, deep down inside, that I was starting to feel at home here.

I relaxed on the sofa and leafed through the pages of a book entitled 'The Roamings of Imirah and Johanna', while Emy chatted to me about stitch patterns and the lesson we just had. It was like being back home after a day at work, we had much less of a social life here but the atmosphere was starting to feel the same. Emy requested some snacks through the bronze panel by her door and a servant came up soon after with enough for both of us; though we didn't know how he knew we were together.

We thanked the man who brought the food and settled on the sofa to eat, when we were done I felt the tiredness setting in and bid Emy goodnight. I took the book back to my room with me and climbed into bed with it, I only managed a page or two before I was fast asleep.

The next few days played out pretty much the same way; we had some form of physical lesson in the morning or early afternoon and then an academic lesson in the evening. It didn't matter that my body didn't want to move after the first fight training, we had other things to learn that were apparently just as important. They ranged from learning to use all manner of weapons for all different kinds of situations, to trying to fight a flying enemy.

That particular lesson didn't make much sense, my dad oversaw it and every few minutes our instructor, Wilmer, would glance at my dad before he said something. My dad would either nod or shake his head. We learned the stance and way to fight something overhead but every time Emy asked how could something be attacking from above us, Wilmer would look at my dad and then change the subject.

In the academic lessons, we learned all about the ways of Nentarli and its people, Nentarlians. My mum and Emy's taught most of those, about the roles of men and women, and how mixed they could be. We learned that there were women high up in the military, even the Elders who were some of the most official people in Nentarli. We were taught the jobs people had; from farmer, to healer, to blacksmith and so on, the list was endless and part of our ever growing homework.