~ Thirty-one ~

I felt like a lead weight had dropped onto my chest, Blaike's words sent a shiver through my body. I stepped back, moving Emy with me just as he reached for my arm. I felt a spark hit me at the contact, I did the only thing I could think of and punched, aiming for his face and felt my hand connect with his jaw. He let go of my arm and I drew my sword despite the pain in my knuckles, Emy drew hers and we were still moving backwards.

"That was impressive, for a little girl, but it won't help you," Blaike stated and his voice was becoming more croaky, like there was sandpaper in his throat.

"Emy, stay behind me and when I tell you to, run!" I spoke as quietly as I could to her but it wasn't quietly enough.

"Cass, I'm not leaving you here alone."

Blaike laughed over Emy's words and it was like broken porcelain rubbing together.

"You won't be running anywhere, Riltresik does not need your legs to be working to enjoy torturing you both."

I couldn't believe these words were coming from Blaike, it hurt to think that he was a traitor, it just wouldn't sink in.

I couldn't let him hurt Emy though, even if she was the only one that got away it would be enough for me. Suddenly a flash of light erupted out of nowhere and came hurtling towards us. I dodged it just in time but Emy wasn't quick enough, I heard her scream then fall to the ground with a thud.

I tried to call to her but there was no answer, I didn't know where she was hurt or how badly and I didn't know if I could help her. What I did know was that there was something building inside of me. I felt the anger and hurt, the betrayal, and the worry over Emy, all bubbling up and bringing something out in me.

It started deep inside then spread out into my limbs, I raised a hand through some kind of instinct and aimed it at Blaike. I felt the release of whatever was inside me as it left my body like a wave of heat. Whatever it was hurtled at Blaike and lit him up with a blast of flames.

The whole corridor was aglow as was Blaike's face, that's when I saw it, black eyes staring wildly while the flames engulfed the body. It wasn't Blaike after all, it was a Dark Horror pretending to be him, no wonder his voice had sounded strange. I didn't have time to let the relief sink in however, the light of the flames showed me where Emy was and I could see now she was unconscious.

I rushed to her and pulled her into a sitting position, her head rolled to the side and I could see that her left leg was bleeding. There was no way she could walk and I noticed the flames were starting to go out, but the Dark Horror wasn't defeated. Its guttural cries were becoming less pained and it was starting to hobble its way closer to us. The Blaike disguise had melted away and the shiny black, disfigured and disgusting creature was visible until the last of the flames died out.

I wasn't sure what I had done but it hadn't been enough, the Dark Horror seemed just as strong as it crackled out what I guessed was its real laugh.

"I was getting tired of wearing that wretched skin anyway, a shame you are not strong enough to inflict real damage or this might have been more of a challenge. I do not think you are worth Riltresik's time, I think I will kill you both now and save him the bother."

I could just make out an outline advancing on us and I tried to drag Emy away but I suddenly felt weak. There was no chance I could get us both away from the Horror before it killed us. I knew I'd have to fight it off for as long as possible, or at least until someone finally found us.

I quickly reached for my sword and stood up, the pain in my hand had disappeared and I weaved to the side. My eyes were gradually adjusting to the darkness and I knew I was pulling the Dark Horror's attention to me instead of Emy. I ignored the tiredness I felt and circled the Horror until I knew its back was to Emy.