Chapter Fifteen

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Yes. I want you to believe that my love relationship with Kerry is real and that even though we work together we will keep things strictly professional once we enter that building" Dom said confidently, looking my father right in the eye.

"Okay, now that all that is cleared up. Shall we continue eating?" My mum spoke up and Dom tore his gaze away before smiling easily at the rest of us.

"Dad, you know Dominic was the chaperone that summer I went to Dubai with Christopher and Almara?" Sumaya changed the course of the conversation. I smiled gratefully at her.

"I would not exactly call myself a chaperone" Dom grinned.

"Why is there something wrong with being a chaperone?" My dad inquired. Lawyers picking up on every little thing!

"No, the term just makes me feel like a stuffy old woman keeping teenagers with raging hormones on leashes" Dom said coolly and aunt Jamila started the ripple of laughter. Everyone followed in laughter except my dad who simply smiled at Dom's response.

"They were adults. I however did still feel responsible for them" Dom said when the laughter died down.

"Red or white, Dominic?" My mum asked.

"Red would be good, thanks" Dom replied. My mum gestured that I pour him a glass which I did and poured myself a glass too. I needed it if my dad kept throwing such questions Dom's way.

The rest of the dinner conversation went smoothly. Dom was really good at this. He was relaxed and genuine in his responses. Anytime someone shifted focus to him, he always found a way to shift the focus back to the person so he wouldn't keep the conversation focused solely on him. His thoughtfulness was winning over the mothers and his confidence was earning my dad's respect. My dad would not admit it but I could tell.

We had dessert and after fifteen minutes, Dom was ready to leave. As we rose from the table, he stood by my father's side and said, "Mr. Effah, I know you may not trust me but at least trust my feelings for your daughter. I saw what Damien did to her and more importantly I saw what you did to him. My father did not raise a fool. I know when I have someone worth treasuring. See you Monday morning?"

He held out his hand and my dad took one look at me before shaking his hand firmly, "See you on Monday"

My heart leapt for joy and I gave my dad a big hug. He was still a softie deep deep deep deep down in there somewhere.

**********************************************************************************

"Need a minute?" Dom asked as we stood at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the porch of his father's house.

"Mhmmmm" was all I managed to say. I looked down at the baby pink chiffon dress I had chosen to wear. It was simple and sweet. Knee length but sleeveless. I had worn chocolate brown sandals and settled for a simple gold chain on my neck.

The venue had been changed to Dom's father's house. I had never met Nicholas Chase. I only knew about him. Since I started at Chase Men, I had seen his photo up on the wall in the lobby and in magazines so at least I knew what he looked like.

I nervously fidgeted with the locket of the necklace.

"My family doesn't bite, I promise" he put an arm protectively around my waist and we went up to the front door.

Nicholas Chase opened the door shortly after Dom rapped his knuckles on it.

"Good evening, so you're the girl my son is dating" he said with a broad smile. He was wearing a blue tee shirt over dark jeans.