Chapter 36

Jack didn't try to speak to Clarke for the rest of the day and didn't plan to when he got to school on Monday. It was like every time he turned a corner, there she was. She always gave him a strange look before turning in the opposite direction and avoiding direct eye contact. How did she have the right to look at him strangely, like she was the one who was wronged? It irked him that he didn't know what even exactly happened. They didn't talk in class and Clarke sat by herself at lunch. James asked why she wasn't sitting with them, but Jack just avoided the question and continued munching on his soggy fries. Avoidance was key. If he just kept quiet maybe they would leave him alone about it. So, that's what he did for the rest of the day, but when Sammy finally cornered him and demanded he give an explanation to his shitty mood, Jack couldn't avoid it anymore. He knew he would have to explain it to someone eventually. It was better to be Sammy than James. He wouldn't exactly take the comment about Amy too well.

"Clarke and I had a fight are you happy?" Sammy squinted her eyes, not sure how to prod more without setting Jack off.

"Fight about what?"

"I thought she liked me, but I guess she cooled off. I just want to forget about it."

"Well you sound like a douche right now. So, what you're saying is that just because she doesn't like you that you're going to stop being her friend? Just because she doesn't want to date you, doesn't mean you can drop off the edge of the earth."

"She said some pretty awful things to me Sammy. Things I would rather forget." He had an injured look in his eyes that worried Sammy.

"Like what?" Jack told her about the conversation they had had, and Sammy was livid that Clarke even had the nerve to bring up Amy. The look on her face scared Jack a little. He sure was glad he wasn't Clarke right now.

"I can't believe she said that."

"Look I don't know what her reasons were. I just want to stop talking about it, so just leave it alone." Jack walked away to his next class, but Sammy wasn't going to let this go. Clarke had no right to say those things to him, especially about a wound that had just opened up again. She was going to hunt her down and demand answers. She didn't end up catching her until the end of last period on her way to her car.

"Hey you." Clarke knew this wasn't going to be good just by the irritated tone in Sammy's voice. She had already had a really shitty day and just wanted to go home and catch up on the sleep she had lost last night. So, she stopped walking to her car and let out a long sigh before turning around and facing a steaming Sammy. Hopefully it would be over quickly, and she could leave.

"What?" Sammy didn't lose notice of the fact that Clarke had bags under her eyes. She looked as shitty as Jack. There had to be more to this story than just her not liking him. Sammy hated to admit, because she once had a thing for Jack, but they radiated sexual tension. It was never one-sided either.

"I heard what you said to Jack on Saturday. Care to explain."

"Honestly, not really. I'm beyond tired and don't have the emotional energy to do this right now." Sammy wanted to be mad, but the way Clarke had said it made her sound so defeated. What exactly had happened to her in the past 48 hours?

"Now I really have to know what happened. Why do you look as shitty as Jack?" Clarke's eyes flickered up to hers and for a moment she could see the concern for Jack in her eyes. This didn't make any sense.

"I was up all night. Like I said Sammy I just want to go get some sleep. Can you grill me some other time?" Sammy's eyes softened a little as she saw Clarke let out another exhausted sigh.

"What's really going on?" Clarke could help but notice the slight hint of concern in Sammy's voice. Clarke needed someone to confide in. Maybe it wouldn't be so dangerous to tell her, but then again, she still hadn't even ruled her out as the murderer.