φώτα

φώτα

Reyna had forgotten the feeling of actually being clean. She could barley remember the last time she had showered, but whenever she had been able, she would occasionally steal water bottles and small bars of soap from local convenience stores. She usually only stole enough to scrub and wash her face and legs, but it was better than nothing.

So when Tara unlocked one of the many doors in the high class estate and thrust Reyna immediately into the bathroom, complaining she "stank worse than garbage that's been left in the sun", Reyna couldn't help but run her hands over the granite counters, the sparkling shower, and crystal clear mirror. She slowly shed her thin, ripped clothes and folded them neatly. Reyna was about to walk into the blessed shower, but then she caught her reflection.

That could not be her.

Reyna looked at the thin, grimy girl in front of her. Reyna ran her nimble fingers over the girl's potruding ribs and hipbones, grimacing on how fragile they seemed beneath her touch. She felt if she pressed to hard, they might just snap. Reyna observed the form's messy, tangled curls and sunken in eyes. She looked like a deprived creature- not even human. She was nothing.

Reyna tore her gaze away from the mirror. All it did was hold lies becasue there was no way that reflection was her. Reyna was stong- not a fragile girl fading away into oblivion. I know who I am, and I don't need anyone or anything to tell me otherwise.

***

"There!" Tara exclaimed, finishing the braid in Reyna's now combed and cleaned hair. "Now, you actually look presentable."

Reyna fiddled with a hanging thread on the dress that Tara had thrown over her. It was a little, black dress with long sleeves and a white collar. Reyna pulled harshly at the collars, feeling the overwhelming sensation of being suffocated. She had never worn such expensive fabrics, and she she felt like she was being swallowed up. Reyna swiped a curious thumb over her lips where Tara had put a strange substance called lipgloss on. It made her dry, chapped lips moist and glittery. Reyna has seen laughing teenager girls walking around the streets, carrying shopping bags and wearing the same thing. She never though she would be anything remotely similar as them.

"I feel weird," Reyna declared, pouting in the mirror.

"You look hot," Tara replied back quickly, digging into her pocket and pulling out a plastic tub of lipstick. "and innocent, which is important if we are going to succeed tonight."

Tara glided the lipstick across her plump lips, reapplying the makeup for the hundredth time. She smacked her lips and smiled. The scarlet matched her dress which was equally as red. Reyna watched, transfixed by the colors. Tara grinned like a snake- devious. Her tongue dashed out, licking and tasting her lips.

"I make it myself, you know? Want to know my secret ingredient?" She purred, twirling the lipstick in her hand protectively.

Reyna nodded. Her mind was too caught in a haze to form a coherent response. Tara squatted down until she was eye level with Reyna. She leaned in, her lips brushing Reyna's ear.

"Snakes' blood."

Reyna gulped, biting her lips nervously. She was tempted to ask how she specifically got the snakes' blood, but Reyna got the feeling it was a story she didn't want to hear. Tara chuckled and latched onto Reyna's hand, pulling her up from the wooden chair. She cleared her throat before patting down her dress. It hugged all of Tara's curves, and Reyna had to force down the jealousy. Her dress only emphasized how little she had eaten.

"This is a basic job so you better not mess up."

Dread seeped into Reyna's veins. She didn't want to imagine the consequences of making one, tiny misstep. She had to stay focused. This was her chance to prove herself and show them what she was capable of.