νέα

νέα

"Mi amore," Daniel cooed, his fingers brushing over the curve of Reyna's cheek. As Reyna felt heat rush to her face, she slapped Daniel's hand away. She kept her head low, unwilling to meet his concerned gaze. She knew if she looked into those hazel eyes ,focused solely on her, she wouldn't be able to hold back her control.

"You should really be more careful," he chuckled, his nimble fingers running over her kneecap, pressing slightly on the wound there. Hot, thick blood pulsed from the deep scratch, and Reyna hissed in pain at the pressure Daniel was applying.

"I'm fine," she mumbled under her breath, attempting to stand up. Reyna stood shakily on two feet, determined not to depend on Daniel. She took a hesitant step and cried out, pain shooting in her ankle. Her feet faltered, and Reyna would of crumbled to the ground if Daniel was not right besides her, arms shooting out to grab her around the waist and steady her.

"Mierda," Daniel cursed in his native tongue. He pulled Reyna's body closer to his, supporting all her weight. "Where else does it hurt?"

"My ankle," Reyna gritted through my teeth. "It's just sore. I'm okay, promise."

Daniel shook his head in disbelief. He glanced around the empty warehouse, where Reyna had found sanctuary from the angry employees of the bakery down the street. The bag of bread and sweets she had stolen now laid discarded off to the side, lonely and forgotten .

"They might of called the police," Daniel warned, lowering Reyna back on the cold ground. His eyes drifted down to her leg to the swollen and red ankle. He grimaced. "Reyna, I think you might of broken it."

"Daniel, I'm seriously-"

Reyna was cut off when Daniel shushed her. He glided his hands underneath her back and knees before hoisting her up, carrying her bridal style. "You can protest later, amore, but we need to leave now, and you aren't getting anywhere with that ankle."

Reyna groaned, burying her head into Daniel's chest. Daniel laughed, his chest vibrating against the side of Reyna's face. "No need to be embarrassed. You can count on me."

***

Reyna woke with a start, Daniel's words echoing in her head. He had sounded so sincere as if he would be by Reyna's side forever. She could still see his hazel eyes, the image imprinted in her brain. Those eyes- a beautiful concoction of amber and green. They haunted Reyna every day and night, a painful reminder that beauty held deceit.

Reyna looked around the dimly lit room. It was the same place she was taken to yesterday; however, only a single light bulb remained on, the one light among darkness. She could just barely make out the outlines of the furniture in the dark. A chill ran through Reyna's body, and she wrapped the blanket she was give tighter around her body. It was thin and porous, but still offered Reyna a slight warmth from the dingy, damp place she was in.

"Who's Daniel?" a soft voice asked through the darkness.

Reyna jumped, pushing herself back against the couch she was lying on. Her heart hammered in her chest as she made eye contact with Darcy, the other girl who had accompanied Kasumi and Blair to retrieve Eden. The shadows shielded Reyna from seeing her, but Darcy's eyes glowed. They were a strange color- a brownish yellow like honey, but in the dark they glowed like the sun. The sight was unnerving, and Reyna felt around her, seeking out Eden. She pulled the young girl closer to her, basking in her comfort. Eden let out a soft sigh before melting into Reyna.

"What do you mean?" Reyna asked shakily, feigning stupidity.

Darcy scoffed. "I'm not in the mood for games. I heard you loud and clear. You were calling out a name- this Daniel dude."