τρόπο

τρόπο

The rain poured down from the grey, barren sky as Reyna lugged through streets, her hood pulled over her face. The muddy water sloshed against her uncovered legs as she maneuvered through the hoard of people, desperate to finally retreat to dry, cool insides. Reyna was in no rush. Even though the rain always brought thunder and lightning- two things she detested-, Reyna couldn't bring herself to hate the rain.

Turning sharpy around a corner, Reyna tugged her thin, worn coat tighter around her body. The rain had picked up suddenly, bombarding everyone on the street with huge, powerful drops. Reyna could hear the distant roll of thunder in the distance, causing a shiver to rack through her body. She picked up her pace and made her way down the stairs towards the subway. When she entered the dimly lit area, Reyna scanned the crowd of people near the gates, flagged by security. She noticed a group of teenage girls, obviously tourists. They had their cards drawn out and were nervously jumping up and down on their toes. One girl, however, had slid her card into her back pocket. Reyna could just barley make out the thin, blue piece of plastic sticking out like a beacon.

Reyna ripped the soaked jacket off her body and tied it around her waist before casually walking by the girls. She breezed by the girl, purposely bumping her shoulder in the girl's back.

"Sorry!" Reyna rushed, a sheepish smile playing on her lips.

The girl waved her hand. "You're fine," she reassured before turning her attention back to her friends.

Didn't even notice a thing Reyna thought, wielding the naive girl's subway card in her hand. Reyna smoothly guided her way towards the gates and slid the stolen card through the slot. The security guard merely nodded at her as she made her way through the gates.

"Claudia, have you've seen my card?" Reyna distantly heard among the chatter while she swiftly departed towards the platforms.

Reyna knew she should have felt some ounce of regret or sympathy, but after spending most of her life on the streets, the strange feeling had stopped coming to her. Reyna did everything she needed to survive. After being abandoned on the streets, life was one big game of survival of the fittest to her. It was simple.

The weak die; the strong survive.

As Reyna began to settle herself among the crowd waiting for the train to arrive, Reyna felt eyes bore into the back of her head. She twirled around, senses on high alert. She squinted, her eyes dancing across the mass of new yorkers, searching for someone who caught her gaze. There was no one.

"What the...?" Reyna muttered, wondering why the sudden feeling had washed over her. Reyna has always been aware of everything, and she was almost certain...

There.

Towards the back near the dirty, stained wall, a tall figure leaned against a pillar. A black hood was pulled over their face, blocking Reyna's view of their features. Despite not being able to meet their eyes, Reyna was sure. This person was watching her.

The screeching of a train's brakes startled Reyna. The crowd began to shuffle closer towards the edge, jostling Reyna, causing her to lose eyesight of the strange figure. When she straightened up once more, she glanced over towards the pillar where the person previously stood. They were gone. Reyna puffed her cheeks in frustration, desperately searching for them but to no avail. The train pulled to a screeching halt, and everyone began to push and shove towards the front. As everyone began to make their way into the train, Reyna gave up and followed. She had to clear her mind of the mysterious figure. They were quite possibly simply a random stranger- a very curious one. After all, if this figure did turn out to be a threat to her, Reyna would take care of her exactly like how she did those gang members. Violence seemed like the only language everyone could understand.