── chapter one

─────────── ✧ ───────────

chapter one
. ‧₊˚ . ˚

"Where have you been?"

   A black-furred, lanky oriental tomcat stood face-to-face with a creamy-white, curly-furred tomcat with dull-yellow orbs. Though his eye color was dull, the oriental could still see the fire burning in his eyes. Because he was different within the village, he was looked down upon. He was seen as an outcast, yet they let him stay for some reason.

   The black oriental stood at the edge of where the boulders stood to the entrance of the village camp with a single hare grasped between his jaws. The feline quickly lowered his head and dropped the piece of prey between his paws, then rose his head steadily. He should have stayed within the camp walls. "I-I was helping Tansycloud," he stammered quietly. His coal-black paws shuffled as he bowed his head, his ears flattening on top of his skull, making the appearance as if he had none. His pelt burned with a mixture of shame and embarrassment as a few looks glanced his way, glaring at the scene.

The curly-furred tomcat let out a small hiss and swung his head to the side. The oriental noticed that his tail was beginning to lash to and fro behind his figure. He then looked down upon him, and even though the oriental wasn't making eye contact with him, he knew this corkscrew-furred feline was glaring down at him with fire in his oculars. "I should just leave your sorry ass," he growled lowly, "you never tell me where you're going, you never check up on me, and you're too busy with Tansycloud!"

   This made the black-pelted feline combatant's heart jump. He quickly looked up with his head still bowed and his body pressed close to the ground in a submissive-crouch position. No, he couldn't leave him! Not now. He only had a couple friends beside him. He loved him so much! He let out a small whimper. "Please don't, Woollysheep," he murmured quietly. The tomcat — known as Woollysheep — let out a small snort as he gazed deep into his hues.

   A few moments went past before the curly-furred tomcat rose his head and let out a small scoff. His eyes pierced down into the pelt of the black cat. "Next time tell me where you're going, Hemlockshade," he growled lowly. Hemlockshade quickly bobbed his head up and down, his eyes fixed upon the ground as his other briskly trotted in the opposite direction, headed over to a pair of other tomcats. The feline slowly rose his head, his throat knotted up in a tight ball as tears threatened to spill, but squeezed his orbs shut for a few moments. He didn't want to lose him. He was the only one who seemed to love him besides his only two friends.

   "You okay?"

   Hemlockshade jumped at the familiar sound of his beloved friend and spun around. A medium-furred, brown tabby she-cat was standing above the timid, black feline with dull-amber colored orbs. They glinted with concern.