── chapter four

─────────── ✧ ───────────

chapter four
. ༉‧₊˚✧ . ˚.

   The wind was beginning to pick up as leaf-bare began to approach the woodlands. Although there hadn't been any snow yet, Hemlockshade could sense that it was close. The leaves fell from the trees at a rapid pace, as every time he stepped out from his den, it seemed like there were more piles each time.

   Hemlockshade had himself perched near his den with Tansycloud, the she-cat talking about her day. The sun was beginning to set over the horizon, night settling in. As leaf-bare drew near, the days began to become shorter and shorter. "—and then my novice turned up with two birds, not one!" Hemlockshade turned his attention back to the she-cat next to him. He smiled softly and let out a small chuckle.

   "Sounds like she's almost ready to become a chasseur," he commented as he brushed a paw over his whiskers. Tansycloud purred at his words.

   "She sure is. In about a moon I'll talk to Thunderstar and she'll be ready for her assessment. She'll do great."

   Hemlockshade met her gaze and nodded his head softly. "I bet she will," he murmured. He looked away from her eyes as she continued to boast about her novice. His thoughts wondered to the rogue scents they found not too long ago; and it wasn't just one, it was at least five. Hemlockshade shuddered at the thought of the rogues that were after him when he first stumbled across Valon Village. They were ruthless. Killing machines. A knot formed in his throat; he knew exactly why they were after him. He caused it. He's the one that did it.

   A loud voice boomed over the camp, making Hemlockshade jump. He looked up to the voice and his fur laid flat along his spine once he realized it was Thunderstar calling a meeting. "Valon Village, cats old enough, gather beneath the Sky Tree for a village meeting!"

   Tansycloud looked to Hemlockshade, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "Ah, he must be announcing who's going to the gathering! I hope we both get to go." Hemlockshade rose to his paws and gave her a weak smile. He's never gone to a gathering before; Thunderstar had never offered for him to go, but in all honesty, he wasn't sure he was all that offended. The other village cats had only seen him on patrol; he's basically a rumor floating among the woodlands. He would just get dirty looks from the opposing village.

   The two made their way over to the base of the large tree at the edge of the camp. It was a large oak tree that loomed over the camp, much bigger than the oak trees outside of the camp walls. It was enormous. Hemlockshade noticed the guardian sitting on one of the thick branches with his mate at his side. The two were murmuring to one another as they waited for the rest of the village to appear. Leopardspring sat at the base of the tree, his eyes glancing to each individual feline. Once his gaze met with his, Hemlockshade looked away.