Chapter Thirty-Eight- Suspicion Smells Like Werewolf

Start from the beginning

It didn't help. He realized Dumbledore knew, he knew!

Not just that Greback bit him, but that he had kidnapped Remus. Luckily he hadn't realized this until after Dumbledore left, for he now found it impossible to meet the headmaster's eyes.

How had he known about that? Was it more obvious than he had feared?

Needless to say, Remus' week had been one of the worst ever, which was kind of funny because it wasn't a week leading up to a full moon.

"Remus? You're zoning out again," Peter called, giving his arm a little shake. They were all looking at him again so he gave them a tense smile, hoping it didn't look too pitiful.

"Sorry."

"Ugh, quit apologizing," Sirius groaned.

"What are we going to do about detention?" James asked, redirecting them to what mattered. It took them a while but they eventually decided it would be best to play dumb until their detentions were over. They also discussed how to prove their professor was a part of this, which required breaking into his office, and finding the remains of the Bloodroot Potion the staff had discovered was what had been used to poison Renilo Roong.

"Sirius, how do you know if there will be any left?" Remus had asked in an attempt to stop such a stupid plan.

"Because the villains always leave evidence behind. That's what all the detective books I've read taught me," Sirius announced proudly, ignoring James' laugh.

Remus tried to get them to take this seriously, but he should have known only Peter would. Still, they all reached somewhat of a compromise to at least wait until detention was done, so Remus had time to think of something else.

Then they were walking to detention, and Remus hadn't completely caught up in school yet, and he also had to think of something to give Lily for her birthday. Then there was the fact they were walking into the office of the man who may have chased him off a tower.

When they got there their professor was waiting, the four desks in the same place they had been before. Same sheets of paper, same enchanted quill, same stern intimidating professor. Their professor stood in the middle of the room with his sharp accusatory eyes, his cane clutched tightly in his fist at a slight angle which would be ideal for smashing it into a student's unsuspecting face. Remus didn't think that was the intent behind the tense posture but...one could never be sure when it came to adults.

But something felt...different.

"Sit down boys, and we will begin," Professor Blavatnik barked impatiently, waving his other hand not clutching the cane, around the room towards the desks set out.

The other three went to their desks, but Remus just stood there, trying to figure out what was wrong. He looked around feeling a strange clenching feeling in his gut.

James and Sirius were gaping at him. This wasn't the plan, he should be following the plan. But Remus couldn't help it. All the hairs on the back of his neck were standing up, convincing him something just wasn't right.

"Professor...um..." Remus couldn't speak. His eyes were trained slightly behind the Professor where he occasionally saw the faintest flicker of movement. It wasn't easy to spot, someone had to tilt their head just right to see the ripples of unnatural movement. Professor Blavatnik was looking at him, surprised.

"What is it, Lupin?"

He felt foolish pointing out something that might or might not be there, so he said nothing just shook his head.

"Then sit down," he snapped and Remus obeyed quickly. They were given the same spiel as last time and then their professor left.

Remus's hand moved and he scratched out several lines before- the same exact lines from the last detention. And just like last time, he stopped quickly, unable to write anymore. But he didn't leave this time, something still feeling really off.