Chapter 8

It's been a month since Richard shot me and these have been some of the best three weeks of my life since everything went to shit. Since I can't go on runs, I've been training the new people that are going to be runners and quarterly reviews of all the guards and current runners. I've also been doing security checks. Basically, I have been making sure the wall is still sturdy and checking on the zombie traps we have set up around the area.

Today will be nothing different. I wake up and take a quick shower then get dressed. I walk to the kitchen to see Rachel cooking breakfast. "Morning babe" Rachel says. I just nod and sit down. I quickly eat and then head out. Me, my second in command, and a few other high-ranking guards meet at my house for a quick meeting. After that, I do a quick security check then head to the doctors. The doctor tells me I'm healing nicely and should be able to start doing runs again shortly.

I just got done with my doctor appointment and was going to go to my house to just relax for bit before I had to meet Rachel. I had barely taken two steps when a guard ran up to me. "Clarke, we have a situation one." "Alright" I say, "Tell Rachel to meet me at the gate." He nods and runs off to get Rachel. Well there go my plans. I walk over to the gate. I see five guards watching three people. Two girls and a guy. Wait, why does the guy and one girl look familiar.

No...it can't be. A smile appears on my face and I run over. I nearly tackle the guy to the ground, "Dave." "Oh my god, Clarke" Dave says returning the hug, "I-we thought you were dead." I pull back and hug Isabell, "I missed you." "I'm so glad you're alive" Isabell says as she begins to cry. I look over at the other girl and take a good look at her. Woah...she is breathtaking. Stop Clarke, do you want her to end up like Vera.

Shit, my subconscious is right. I can't have her blood on my hands as well. I have to keep my distance. "The chosen one is approaching" a guard says. Dammit, I can't let this girl to the prison, I know firsthand how bad it is down there. "What's her name" I whisper. "Shannon" Isabell whispers. I go over to Shannon and pull her into a hug whispering, "Play along if you want to live." Shannon hugs me back.

"What's going on here Clarke" Rachel asks. I pull away from Shannon and give Dave ad Isabell a look. "This is Isabell and Dave, my brother and sister" I say pointing at Isabell and Dave, then I point at Shannon, "And this is my cousin Shannon." "Nice to meet you" Rachel says. "I'm going to show them around and where they will be staying" I say. I grab Shannon's hand and pull her along before Rachel can say anything. Isabell and Dave follow.

Isabell says, "Clarke what was-" "Not here" I say interrupting her. Dave says, "Why did-" "I said not here" I say interrupting Dave, "I'll explain everything." I give them a tour of New Havens and explain the rules to them. I then take them to my house. "This is where you guys will be staying" I say, "Make yourself at home." I walk over to the fridge and take out four bottles of water. I give Shannon, Isabell, and Dave a bottle. "That's my room" I say pointing to the close door, "There's two more rooms and the living room."

I give them a quick tour of the house. After the get settled in and figure out where everyone is sleeping, we sit in the living room. "Care to explain" Isabell says. "First off let me properly introduce myself" I say, "I'm Clarke Smythe." "I'm Shannon Aims" Shannon says. "I've been living here basically since we got separated" I say, "Give or take three to five months. "I'm the captain of the guards and second in command. Rachel, the girl that met us at the gate is in charge here."

"Why did you say Shannon was your-our cousin" Isabell asks. "Because if I hadn't said that, she would have been thrown into prison" I say, "And trust me, that's not a place you want to be. I spent a lot of time there when I first arrived, so I know how bad it is firsthand. And the only reason you are here instead of there is because you're my brother and sister." "Oh, well thank you then Clarke" Shannon says. "So, if anyone asks, she's our cousin and your our cousin" I say, "I also need to show you something."

I stand up and pull up my shirt to show the bite on my right side. They all back away from me and Isabell says, "When..." "Relax" I say, "If I wasn't immune, I would have turned into one of those things years ago." "Dude your bitten" Dave says, "Your infected." "I got bit shortly after we got separated" I say. "Holy shit" Isabell says. "So now that you know everything that's happened to me" I say sitting down, "What happened to guys after we got separated?"

They sit back down and Dave says, "After we got separated, we looked for you for months, without any luck. We have been on the move the whole time. Find a place to rest and restock on supplies and then walk until we needed to restock." "We ran into Shannon a few months ago" Isabell says, "She was by herself so we told her she could tag along if she wanted."

"Well I still have somethings to do, so I'll be back in a few hours. Like I said, make yourself at home" I say, "Tomorrow we will go talk to Rachel to figure out how you will contribute to this place." We say goodbye and I walk out the house. I sigh and run my hand through my hair. The situation just got way more complicated. Rachel can't know that Shannon isn't my cousin and that I have a crush on her. I have to figure out the best time to put my plan into action without it backfiring and hurting them.

Thanks for reading.  My new book Soulmates is coming out next week, I would appreciate it if you checked it out.  What did you think?  What do you think will happen next?  What do you want to happen next?  As always votes and comments are appreciated.