Overestimation

One day, Dooku told Newt about his own padawan, Qui-Gon Jinn and his master, Yoda, and about all the exciting adventures they went through together. Dooku seemed to like Qui-Gon Jinn quite much and as the Count was talking about the dead of his padawan, his voice almost sounded sad. The way Dooku talked about the man, astonished Newt since Dooku did not really seem to be a very emotional person at all. But having a good relationship with her own master was something Newt had always wished for, but it never had happened. Newt did not know much about her old master, Mace Windu, although they were working together every single day during her time as a jedi padawan. He had always been reserved towards her, as if he wasn't accepting Newt. She always thought it was because Mace was an arrogant and self-centered person. Newt now spend most of her evening together with Dooku, eating together, and he never got enough of telling her about his own achievements or giving her, in his opinion, good advice for fighting or using the force.

"Master", Newt asked as there was a lapse in the conversation. "Why do I need to fight against this general?"

"Grievous? Because you both can learn from each other. You, how you can defend yourself against strong and fast enemies, and he, how he can fight against force-users that might be stronger than all the jedi he already killed. I trained Grievous myself, but he is not force-sensitive as you know. That is his biggest weakness. He might have killed a lot of jedi, but only because they were too slow for him or because they were outnumbered."

"You trained him?"

"Well, yes. I tried to teach him how to fight with a lightsaber, but every idiot can learn how to fight with that. As long as Grievous can't use the force, he will never be as strong as a real force-user."

"I understand", Newt replied.

"He doesn't really like me, I think." Dooku furrowed his brows.

"He should start with that then, because you two will have to work together in the future. But apart from this, I don't think that Grievous likes anyone else at all." Dooku suggested Newt should fight against Grievous one last time and she agreed. She would win this fight again, she thought. Win it and made her master proud. 

The training room was big and dark, with no natural sunlight shining in. A small droid that was used for medical help, was rolling around and one wall had three platforms, each one of them a little bit higher than the other, but except for these things, the room was empty. Newt decided to use these platforms and jumped right onto the first one during her fight with Grievous. He was way more aggressive then during her last fight, probably because she made him angry last time. Newt had to admit, Grievous really did scare her. At least in this moment. He followed her to the platform and attacked her with all of his four lightsabers at once. He let the swords rotating in his hands and in this moment Newt feared, he really would kill her. She jumped on the highest platform and waited there for him, ready to attack. The general followed her and she attacked him, but missed. He kicked her, his foot hit her stomach and had so much power that Newt slid over the platform and fell down. The platform had a height of approximately seven meters and although Newt was able to soften the fall with help of the force, the landing was still a bit painful.

She landed on her back and was, for a very long moment, unable to breathe normally. She heard the general coming closer and she wanted to pull out her lightsaber, but it was gone. The sheath of her sword was empty. Where could it be? 

"Does this looks like restraint?", Grievous asked and laughed. He raised his lightsabers, ready to pierce through Newts chest. She rolled herself to the side, with a fast beating heart. She stood up, discovered her lightsaber laying on the second platform and reached out her hand. It flight towards her and she picked it out of the air, while she tried to defend herself from Grievous attacks, with wobbly knees. Dooku was standing in front of the door and scratching his sharp chin with one hand. A sardonic smile appeared on his lips, while he watched the two fighters. Grievous was able to push Newt once again onto the ground by throwing himself on top of her. Newt was not strong enough to push him away from her. She tried to kick him, but his hard, metal body didn't even seem to notice her kicks and hits. It's not over yet, Newt thought. Grievous lightened up one of his swords and threatened her. She raised her hand, made a crooked gesture, and lift the cyborg up in the air. She then stood up and continued fighting with him for a while, until Grievous had enough and disarmed her with two of his lightsabers.

"Just give up", he told her. Newt hesitated. "Give up!" She tried to move her hand again, but Grievous threatened to cut it off if she would use the force again. She put her lightsaber on the ground and nodded. 

"Fine. You've won", she replied angry. Giving up wasn't something she liked and normally, she would avoid it at all cost. But maybe this was the punishment for calling the General a droid. Maybe he needed this kind of success. "I'm sorry for insulting you the last time, General Grievous. You're a great fighter." His only answer was a sigh.

Even a few hours later, Newts back was still hurting a bit. She decided to take a long, warm bath to get rid of the back pain. This is definitely the price for my pride, she thought. I'll never again say I'm stronger than some kind of crazy cyborg. Newt had to realise, she was a victim of her own arrogance. She got rid of her clothes, put her dark, purple hair up in a bun and sat down in the hot water. Newt closed her eyes. Will I ever get along with Grievous?, she asked herself. Would she ever be able to make any new friends at this place? Did she needed friends at all? Maybe it was better to just be alone, at least for a while. Having friends was not important for a sith, or a dark-jedi (what she really was in her opinion). No, it was not important at all, and although she admired Grievous for his strength and his speed, he really was not a person she wanted to be friends with.