Chapter Five - Family Time

April 20th
Monday

Dear Diary,

My first day of school was awful, fuck, awful doesn't even cover it. No matter how much I want your murderer to be brought out of the shadows and gutted on national TV Jaimee...I also want everyone to forget about your death for a second.....it's all anyone thinks about when they see me or my family and it sucks to tell you the truth...I miss you but I also miss my old life sorry if I'm being selfish, I still love you Jaimee. ,💔

I hope this party tonight can give me a break from it all.

********

Sapphires party was supposed to be the bash of the century, the whole town was abuzz about it. As my dad drove me home from school we saw posters littering the streets advertising her party. I couldn't contain my excitement, I literally couldn't stop talking on the way home.

"So dad today at school I met this girl and she's having a party tonight and I wanted to know if I could go PLEASE! I mean I feel like it could really be beneficial to my recovery to do something normal again and I'm pretty sure mom and my therapist would approve and you know how...."

He cut me off with a wave of his hand before I could finish, I was kind of glad, I was running out of breath to keep going. I sat waiting for his response, I never felt more nervous before, we turned a few more blocks only about 3 more blocks until we hit the gravel road leading to our house and then 167ft before wed be right at the front door. As my anxiety reached maximum level he finally replied.

"Alex I love you and I'm really hoping things go smoothly out here.....I'm worried about you....."

He paused as if wanting to say something else, his hands nervously squeezing the steering wheel over and over.

"If you feel comfortable going to this party then you can go."

EEEEKKKK!

I screamed so loud my dad swerved on the road a bit. I was sorry but I didn't expect a yes out of his mouth, let alone any words since he rarely spoke to us anymore, I was so ecstatic.

"Thanks, dad you're the best."

"Alex....you can go on one condition, you have to promise to call me or your mother every 30mins."

I had NO problem with that.

"You got it dad."

I sat the rest of the way home smiling out of the window, for the first time in what felt like forever.

When we reached home I zoomed out of the car before my dad even had the chance to put it in park or even fully stop for that matter. I ran right into the kitchen and found my mother actively dumping Chinese food out of take out containers onto dinner plates. She smiled and kissed me on the head as I stood beside her to help her.

"Dinner looks great mom, thank you for putting a lot into it for us."

My mother stopped dumping food and looked at me with a worried expression on her face.

"Alex.... you're not feeling....um...suicidal are you?"

My head snapped around almost doing a full 360 to stare at her.

"Mom what the hell, no Jesus where did that come from?!"

My mom let out a massive sigh of relief.

"I'm sorry honey I was watching a documentary today on the tell tall signs of a depressed teenager and we'll...I was worried about you. I'm glad you're okay, and if you need to talk I'm right here honey."