Chapter 12- The game of thinking

Start from the beginning

The woman I needed to apologize whole heartedly,
“I will help you,”
I called and the rest went silent.

May be they understood the demand of the situation or the request in my voice, no one followed me to the area where Ruhani and a few team mates were cooking.

The rest got settled across the dining and a few around the bonfire.

“Here, keep it on the table.”
Ruhani gave me a smile and a bowl full of I suppose mix-veg.

Keeping it on the table and passing my smile to a few people I made my way back to her, biting my lip still debating how to start.

When I came back she was peeling a cucumber
“Let me help you with that.”
She smiled and I picked up the un-cut cucumber to slice it down

She has a plate set, filled with lettuce, cucumber and slightly fried cottage cheese for salad,

“Ruhani, I have something to say”

“You don’t have to”

“No I need to.” I insisted

“No you don’t trust me, I was out of line that day.”

“And I was out of myself the same day. I am sorry.” I held her hands

She smiled even wide looking at our joined hands, I continued,
“You were just being an elder sister and a true friend like you always have been, I was wrong.”

“I am sorry too, Manzar, it was never my place to say all those hurtful words to you…”

“Oh shut it, if it wasn’t for you, do you really think your brother was ever going to get a chance, just look at him”
I said pointing at the boy sitting across the bonfire waiting for his plate,

“He is too slow and steady for his own good.”

She laughed looking at him,
“Just look at his food anticipating face, and he call himself a saint. I bet he must have sensed the smell of his favourite dish by now.”

She continued smiling and turned to look at me, the look I earned I knew I was long forgiven.

She cupped my cheek with her left hand and said,
“He was right, you worth it.”

And then she left me alone and dumb-founded.

Never been good with compliments!

Nada.

Blinking like a dozen of times, I made my way to the others but a slight movement from the open area caught my attention, my head whipped in the direction and I saw a face looking at me in anticipation.

I wanted to smile.

He scooted and made space for me beside him, I bit back a smile and wanted to wash my hot face.

He pretended like he didn’t asked anything from me, he wasn’t asking for anything big and I knew by the blank look he was holding he was sure I would oblige.

I turned and picked up my plate, started filling it with food.
When I turned to the corner and saw him glancing at me, his bridge of patience was known there.
I filled my plate with the last dish and was about to step out to sit beside him,

“You are going out? In open?”
Urvi’s voice called from behind

I turned to look at her,
“Yes”

“Don’t you think it’s cold outside?”
she asked, knowing me, the old me would say yes to her and  run back inside but the new  me would never let down the man waiting outside.