Ch. 0 Prologue to Ch. 3: Matthew & Jocie Meet

Start from the beginning

Jocie:  Jocie replies sheepishly.  "I wish I knew.  I want to see some of the gardens and fountains and monument sculptures.  But, I'm not sure where to start."

A tall, dark and handsome stranger sitting on a stool in a quiet out of the way corner of the shop by the tall potted ferns he was dusting  with a damp cloth, stands up, and he turns toward Jocie as he says in a deep and velvety voice.  

Matthew:  "There is always the park down the lane and around the corner that you could stroll through."  Matthew [(4) right]  smiles shyly at the pretty lady.

Startled because she did not know he was there, Jocie looks at the man.  He is handsome--classically so, with his square jaw, roman nose, broad shoulders, and piercing blue eyes.  And since the man is taller than her five foot four inch person—he is well over six feet tall--the petite Jocie feels a bit intimidated by him at first. 

Jocie:  "Well, I don't know."  Jocie looks up at him uncertainly.

Aunt Madge Flwr Prop.:  "Oh Matthew Dear!"  She walks over to her nephew, takes his hand in hers and pats it.    "You've got to smile once and a while when you talk to new people--so they will know that you're a nice bloke."

Matthew:  "Sorry Aunt Madge."  Matthew grins sheepishly, and he finally cracks a small smile which does brighten his countenance.

Aunt Madge FP:  "That's alright Matthew."  Then she says to Jocie.  "Matthew sometimes helps me around the shop when he doesn't have to work at his regular job.  What's your name Dear?"

Jocie:  Smiling first to the Flower Lady and then to Matthew, Jocie feels  slightly embarrassed for her lack of manners by not introducing herself right away.  "Hello, I'm so sorry."  Jocie blanches and rolls her eyes."  "I'm Jocelyn Eileen Burrows—well Jocie is what everyone calls me.  Lovely to meet you."  Jocie extends her hand to Aunt Madge and they shake hands.

Aunt MadgeFP.:  "It's lovely to meet you, too, Dear.   I'm Marjorie Ann Drake. But everyone calls me Aunt Madge.  And this is my nephew Matthew Charles Drake."  Matthew  looks shyly and hesitantly at Jocie.  "Matthew, it's your turn to say hello, Dear."

Matthew:   Matthew's voice is deep, and slow, and precise--his diction is impeccable, and his manners are flawless--if seeming just a little shy.  "Sorry Aunt Madge.  Hello, Jocelyn, it is lovely to meet you." 

Matthew nods his head and smiles a bit, then he extends his hand to her and Jocie does the same and they shake hands.  But, it is a little humid out and Jocie had rubbed her shoes on the doormat--to make sure they were clean when she came into the shop--so they shock each other unintentionally.

Jocie:  "Ouch!"  She says pulling her hand back quickly and shaking it up and down.

Matthew:  Flexing and compressing his hand into a fist back and forth, Mathew says blandly.  "Sorry.  That seems to happen a lot in here." 

Aunt MadgeFP:  "Never mind Matthew, it wasn't your fault."  Aunt Madge comforts Matthew by patting his broad and muscular shoulders, as she would a child's.  Then an idea occurs to her.  "Jocelyn, would you like Matthew to show you the park that he mentioned?"

Jocie:  She hesitates.  "Well, I don't want to impose on you."  Jocie says looking at Matthew hesitantly.

Matthew:  "Not at all.  I will be happy to show you the park."  Matthew replies to her in a somewhat bland monotone voice and Jocie wonders if he's just being polite.  Then he continues and gestures toward the door.  "The park is this way."

To be continued with Chapter 2

"Lost & Found" (Revised), Ch. 2 (PG):  Jocie and Matthew Walk to the Park