5 || Weight Of The Word: Friend

"Senpai... I mean, Mayu... ," Daisuke shyly called her, making Fumihiro's brows twitched in displeasure, "Sensei and I saw you fighting those ... giant worms when you arrived on the first floor. Then we quickly noticed that the worm monsters cannot see and only act on sound."

Daiki then added to his explanation, "Unfortunately, the others are not as perceptive. When Daisuke and myself realized this, we hid under the teacher's desk and stayed as quiet as possible." He sighed, "It's way too late to save everyone or anyone else, especially when they screamed too much. And then, that reaper thing also started patrolling the corridor outside. It only took a few times for us to understand his attack pattern and his range of attack. Daisuke observed that as long as we didn't get too close to it, it wouldn't realize our presence."

"Daisuke is the smartest of the first years. I've told him many times that brain will prevail over brawn, and I'm right." Daiki added, not bothering to hide his pride towards his star student.

Despite the compliment he had received, Daisuke lowered his head, his soft bangs covering his forlorn expression. He must have been suddenly reminded of the earlier massacre. Mayu patted his head in her bid to comfort him, that caused the younger boy to look up in gratitude.

"He blushes easily," Mayu thought at his brightened expression.

Soon, they arrived at the second floor, and Mayu put her index finger against her lips, indicating for all of them to be quiet. Although there was no more Lesser Wraith in sight, the corridor did not look any better than the first floor, with bloody matter everywhere.

They walked past the classrooms silently, and noticed the Woms were inside the opened classrooms, lazily reveling after their earlier feast of human flesh. From the look of things, the second year students had obviously tried to escape as well, but were unable to do so. 

The group walked relatively in peace. Save for a few Woms that Mayu quickly killed quickly that the monsters did not even have the chance to screech, the corridor was devoid of monsters.

Soon they were greeted by a few fearful faces peeking at them from behind the windows of a classroom. Mayu realized she was already standing in front of her old classroom, its door was still closed.

"They... actually followed my words." Mayu opened the door and met the gazes of her old classmates. If the door were opened, the Woms would have already gotten in. However soon, she frowned. 

"There are much less people than before. And the teacher is not here."

One of the students sniffled through her words when she greeted Mayu. Mayu recognized her to be the same girl who had first conversed with her when she woke up, her desk neighbor,

"Sensei and a few of our friends ignored your words. They went outside not long after you're gone. We haven't seen them since."

Another teenager, a boy with sunken cheeks and timid appearance, nodded, "Yeah. They said they wanted to look for help. Saito, despite how you've clearly told us not to, they chose to do what they liked."

Daiki Fuse hid his lips behind his knuckle as he chuckled. Upon noticing everyone's gazes at him, he addressed the students, "Ah, I'm a new teacher for the first year, so most of you probably don't recognize me. I just find it a bit funny that you seem to be blaming your teacher and friends for... um... ignoring Mayu's words and being brave? Will that make you, who've holed yourself inside this class, any better than them who're probably dead by now?"

The students shrunk their necks back in embarrassment.

"Has... Sensei truly died?"

"What about Aki-chan?"