X - The Abandoned Moon

Henry bowed his head and Mrs. Iroshi, his wife hugged him sadly. How many had perished! Women, children and young people, further reducing hopes for a new beginning of humanity.

But death still lingered between them. The silence of relief was broken by Sarah, who looked out frightened and said:

"I think we have company!"

Everyone on the comando bridge saw the first creature, that could be considered the mother of all monsters, outside the ship. The lack of oxygen did not seem to affect it. It moved slowly, punching the front door. It looked like a human, a viscous figure three feet high, with few human features.

"If it opens the door, the ship will be destroyed."

But it only needed a small fissure, a gap. And as soon as it did one, it became almost liquid, pouring into the ship. Horrified, they saw through the camera as it entered the ambiance of the ship, and as if guided by their scent, the beast went to the command room.

Sarah and the captain offered to try to stop the creature. They gathered all the weapons they had in their hands and went toward the thing.

Fox finally said:

"Let's close the doors, quick!"

The monster continued to advance, and as it reached the closed entrances of the command room, it molded to the holes to cross, to the despair of all.

"Do you have any escape ships on Transport III?", Fox asked, thinking of a solution.

"Yes. We have three ships, but two are behind that door.", Cordon said, pointing to where the creature was. "We can only reach one, which has direct access to the comando bridge."

"Does everyone fit?", the captain asked, staring at the survivors present. People had already suffered too much. He would not let anyone else perish.

The officer nodded, giving everyone a new courage.

"Did you hear that? Put Transport III in self-destruct mode and let's go fast to the escape ship.", said the captain. "We'll send this demon through the airs.", he shouted to encourage the team.

Meanwhile, the creature occupied the cracks of the door, small puddles of its gaunt liquid formed on the floor. They did not have much time.

After activating the self-destruct sequence, they ran as fast as they could to get into the ship. With the alarm sirens activated, the escape craft took off, leaving behind not only Transport III, but also the creature that would fuel the nightmare of many for years.

Sarah looked at one of the windows of the ship and the last thing she saw was the creature, leaning against one of the glasses of the comando bridge, watching them with its large eyes that looked like scarlet glass. It was as if something had evolved in it, almost human-like. But it was the explosion that awakened the officer, illuminating the whole Enceladus atmosphere. It was the mother ship self-destructing, with the murderous beast inside it.

"Thank God we escaped!", Lanza said, crying with her head on Captain Fox's shoulder.

"Thank you, my friend Cordon. You saved us!", the captain thanked him, grateful for the escape.

"I couldn't do it without you!", he said, looking deep into Sarah's eyes.

At this moment she returned his gaze and the ship went on autopilot to Mars. The lips of they two finally met, without fear or barriers. There was born a love that would last forever.

Fox and Lanza also kissed. He, seeing her bright eyes, asked:

"When you look at me like that, you want to tell me something."

"I love you!"

"I love you too, my dear!"

"I don't know if this is the right time to tell you, but I took an examination after you ran out of our room to defend the base. And I discovered something..."

"What?", he asked worriedly.

"I'm pregnant!"

"My God, I don't believe! What wonderful news..."

"After all we've experienced today, I thought you needed to know that, and I'm very happy to be expecting our child."

The two of them ran their hands over Ms. Iroshi's belly and smiled at each other.

Cordon interrupted them and said:

"We could have kept a gelatinous part of the creature to study it better on Mars. So we could find a way to destroy it and recover the Base."

"Who said we did not bring it?", said the captain showing a bottle that he took with him.

The four of them looked at one another and smiled, happy to be alive. They would go on a long trip. In search of the unknown.

THE END

_____________________________