IX - The Death Moon

The military organized the evacuation. The commander raced to his room to save his wife, Lanza. Knowing about the chaotic situation they were, she was ready, in her space suit and helmet. They fled as fast as they could, using one of the base vehicles, and then they approached Transport III. It was the nearest ship safe for the escape. Cordon and Sarah were also there, with the crew that had managed to get there in time to leave.

"Preparing for takeoff.", said Cordon.

At this point, Cordon did not know where the rest of his crew was, for they had scattered through the base. Many were dead or lost in the midst of the confusion.

"Wait, Cordon. The captain is coming with someone else.", Sarah said, pulling him out of his thoughts.

The captain's vehicle arrived, with a few creatures in pursuit. The beings, during few hours, seemed to have multiplied, in a strange symbiosis, devouring people like a living mass, quickly quenching the cries of pain and despair, without a trace.

"Quick, sir!", Cordon shouted at the terrifying scene.

As the lieutenant began the takeoff procedures along with the ship's computers, Sarah went to the hangar to help, firing at the monsters with a long-range laser weapon. Lanza and she fired uninterruptedly, while the captain was able to land his vehicle inside the escape craft. It was the exact time for the door to close and the few people who were there dresses the spacesuits before the ship left the Base's orbit.

They were alive. That was all that mattered at the moment.

Inside the ship, they all breathed, finally relieved. In tears, the captain thought of all the friends he had left behind, unable to at least save them.

"Cordon, are you detecting any other fleeing spaceships on the radar?", he said, still hopeful.

"Unfortunately not, sir. I think we're the only survivors."

________