After grabbing a few fresh oranges and saving them in his satchel, the brunette climbed off the tree, almost slipping in the process due to being so distracted and careless in the moment.

He remembered breaking the same arm twice when he was little for constantly climbing and falling off trees despite everyone in his family telling him not to. Since he had memory he'd always been reckless, the class clown, rather impulsive and rebellious, a big dumbass. Always eager to prove himself to people, to be a part of something bigger, to be someone to somebody.

But he wasn't. He was never enough, always stepped where he wasn't called, gave more than he recieved. Gave all of him. That was the reason that after every single rejection, he lost it all. He still was the little kid that confessed to the beautiful healer of the village years ago, stupid and naive, believing for a second he had a chance.

But princes don't date servant boys, this wasn't a fairy tale, and he certainly wasn't the strong, handsome or skilled knight in shining armor. There was no prince charming awaiting his rescue. Like usual, he only made things worse. Because that was the only thing he could do right, fuck things up.

And crying. God if he was a crybaby. Foolish enough to keep waiting for someone to come and hug him, comfort him until he was out of tears. His father would be so disappointed if he saw him now, all teary due to a prince, crush, love interest, whatever. He couldn't be the strong man he wanted him to be. He couldn't live up to anyone's expectations. He was a failure, even to Keith. Keith probably thought he wasn't worth fighting for, that he'd mistaken him for someone actually worthy of value, and he'd now made his mind.

It was ok, people mistaked him for something great all the time.

He wiped a single tear off the corner of his eye, turned around and found the eyes of the prince. Why was he there? What else did he want from him? Hadn't he played enough with his heart already?

He averted his gaze, secured his satchel and walked past him once more to where they'd left their horses.

Shit, no. Keith should say something, do something. He turned around and grabbed Lance's wrist, pulling him back to face him.

Every single word he hadn't thought of yet drowned in those beautiful eyes, in which he stared for a long, silent time. Seconds turned into minutes, unable to find his voice. But what to say?

No matter how badly he wanted it, they couldn't be together after this. They couldn't have their happily ever after. So was he just supposed to leave Lance like this, go back to his own boring, horrible life? No. He should explain. Just tell him what you're feeling. Lance will appreciate it.

"I.. I want to be with you, Lance," he said, his voice raw with emotion. "I want to talk to you and laugh with you and cry with you. I want to hold you, and I want you to hold me back. I want to touch you, to kiss you, to.." Keith looked down and blushed. Not the time.

He couldn't do this while looking in Lance's eyes, knowing his mind would spin at the sight of those eyes. "But.." Keith hesitated. "But I can't- I won't be responsible for anything happening to you. If anyone in the Castle sees how much I care about you, how much I.." He bit his lip and swallowed the word 'love'.

"They'll kill you. It's just those stupid... Those stupid laws. I'm a Prince, I can't.. It's not allowed. For God's sake, Lance, I'm getting married. And even though I don't want to, I don't have any say in that. And I.. I don't know what to do." His last words came out in a whisper, hating to admit his own impotence again.

The moment he was forced to stay in place, Lance caught his breath. He wanted to run, to get away from him like a coward trying to escape his problems, but he was nailed to the ground by the prince's - perhaps too strong - grip.