- 2 -

[Chapter 2 - Tryouts]

-Riley-

I had ten minutes to get ready and get to the gym. I took a deep breath and went into a bathroom stall, stripping down to my undergarments and socks.

I then put on a clean pair of baseball socks, then baseball pants, and a plain black and white tank top. I tucked my boots into my bag and got my cleats out, putting them on. I tied my hair back and put my ponytail through my hat.

Satisfied with my look I grabbed my bag and walked into the gym with five minutes till tryouts started.

As soon as I walked in, I had a few boys look at me with wide eyes. They were all taller than me, but I somehow felt at home. I scanned the room and found the prick I bumped into earlier, I scoffed and set my bag down at the wall than checked my phone.

"Alright let's get this started, we are going to start out with role call!" A man yelled catching my attention. I threw my phone in the bag and moved closer.

"Jayden Andrews" He called out, a skinny boy with a soft tan raised his hand.

"Kyle Anthony" The man called again, this time a dark-haired boy called out a 'here'. The coach continued role call. Things were fine until it got to me.

"Riley Seager" He called out scanning the boys, "Here.." I said raising my hand and all eyes were on me. The coach looked taken back looking at me than his papers again, "I didn't know we had a little lady here with us." He said straightening his posture.

"Yeah, well when you don't offer softball this is what happens," I replied in the nice and funny tone.

"Are you sure you want to do this, these workouts can become intense. Maybe you should try something else out." The coach started with sympathy in his eyes. I raised my eyebrows at his words, "With all due respect sir, I think I will do just fine. Besides, I'm already dressed for the part."

He raised a brow at me before going back to his role call. Many of the boys still stared at me, others glared and whispered but there was one staring that bothered me the most - Kayden Walker.

I ignored it to the best that I could, I saw in the corner of my eye he was angry - probably because I was here. I smirked to myself knowing that me being here gets to him, well maybe if he wasn't such a dick earlier we would have been on better terms.

Coach finished role call and told us to come outside with our bags. We all did as we were told and made our way outside, on my walk I was approached by dick weasel, I mean Kayden...

"What game are you playing at Seager? Is that even your real name?" He asked rather harshly. I pretended to think about it for a minute before looking him dead in the eyes, "Baseball, and yes it is my real name. Check my birth certificate, now move."

I pushed past him and left him in the dust as I caught up to the rest of the boys. We were lead to the baseball field, which didn't look half bad if I had to say so myself. We set our bags in the grass and turned our attention to the coach.

"To start off we are going to stretch than do some running drills." The coach called out, the boys groaned but I smiled. We started stretching and it felt great, especially after the long day I had. Coach not only had us do leg stretches but also arm and wrist stretches for when we did pitching and catching drills.

"Alright spread out, give yourselves about a foot in between each other. Now we are going to jog from one end of the field to another, in other words, fence to fence until I blow my whistle and say stop." The boys groaned but I didn't mind, I have run further distances.