Chapter Thirty-Six- In the Shadow of the Full Moon

Depuis le début

He couldn't feel the hand on his shoulder but he could hear Dumbledore was closer now. A surge of warmth ran through the cold that surrounded him. Penetrating some of the darkness that had kept him shut away from the world.

"Good luck tonight, Mr. Lupin. Ah, Madam Pomfrey, impeccable timing as always."

"Of course! I would never be even a minute late for something so important. Are you coming with us tonight?"

"Yes, I want to make sure everything is in place."

"Will...will he wake up tomorrow?"

"Let's hope so, Poppy. Hope is one of the most powerful magic we can have at a time like this."

There was a heavy sigh, and once again Remus had no way of knowing, but he was being carried by Dumbledore to the Whomping Willow. He wasn't even able to follow the rest of the adults' conversation, feeling far too weak and dizzy. Instead, all he was aware of was the ever-growing presence and persistence of the wolf which filled him with growing worry.

Remus was faced with anxiety such as he had never known, which had taken over him. Though he didn't know why, it was because he was terrified he wasn't safely secured in the shack.

He was, of course. Courtesy of the headmaster.

But between his lack of physical feeling and overall confusion, he couldn't reach this conclusion.

Instead, he just felt intense panic though he couldn't pinpoint why. So it would be another bad full moon. Rage and an unquenchable thirst for flesh and blood kept him going all night. And though the several worried adults had no way of knowing, the wolf was indeed conscious and moving. This was both good and bad, for the insane anger and disgust at its human captor left the wolf very violent this time indeed.

.................................................

He was first aware of the pain, as always. Then of his fingers and toes twitching. The confusion that had plagued him for a long time cleared and with it, came again, an intense panic. He forced his blood-caked eyes open, finding it hard to see. But based on the feel and smell he was in the shack and he relaxed.

He hadn't hurt anyone then.

Now things could go back to normal. He waited for Madam Pomfrey, the idea of her happiness at seeing him conscious numbing the sharp pain that came every time he took a wheezy breath. He stayed awake the whole time, wanting to see someone happy he was back. Part of him fearful no one would be.

Surely it would be easier if he hadn't transformed this month. Perhaps if the coma kept the wolf back he could have just stayed like that, burdening them less than he usually did. But he tried not to think of this, just like he tried not to think about how his father hadn't visited him. Tried not to think about the trouble he caused as much as he tried not to think about how often and loyal Sirius had been with his visits.

He had no doubts that he owed his intact sanity to Sirius and Madam Pomfrey. Without them he would have gone insane, trapped with only himself for what felt like a long time. Before he couldn't quite put together yet how long it had been, though he was getting there based on last night being the full moon. As he tried to fit some pieces together he avoided other ones he preferred remain a mystery. Specifically who had undressed him before leaving him in the shack. Then he heard the door unlatch and could practically feel the unusual nerves rolling off the Matron.

"Goo Ning," he managed to say, his tongue swollen and numb from biting on it too hard.

"Oh, thank Helga!" she cried loudly, rushing over to him in a very un-composed manner and covering him up with a large fluffy blanket. Her response was sincere and immediate, and it warmed him greatly to hear the concern and relief in her voice.