A New Way Of Life

_________________________________________

"You're not going."

Rocky crossed her arms over her chest and glared at her old man who looked unconcerned by her fighting posture.

"And just why not? I'm the one they contacted for the hit."

Happy nodded as he stuck a toothpick in his mouth. "Exactly. They don't know what you look like and I'd like to keep it that way, okay? Let us handle the meet with Lin like we all agreed to in the first place. Stay here with Lucinda and figure out your next career move."

Rocky sighed and nodded. "Alright, but don't take any shit from them. We want that contract dropped."

Happy rolled his eyes before taking the toothpick out to lean in for a kiss. "Gerry, we know what we're doing."

Rocky grinned and shrugged as she smoothed a hand down his kutte. "I know. I just like to be in charge."

Happy chuckled and nodded. "Like I said, figure your shit out. I like the idea you had about corporate security."

Rocky nodded as she wrapped her arms around him. "I like it too, and it gives Luce a chance to work on cyber security, a specialty for her." She chuckled as he squeezed her closer. "Wow, with our new business, Pru's new place in Lodi, and Jessie's little spell shop, it looks like all of us girls are finally settling somewhere."

Happy chuckled and nodded. "A good thing too. Now maybe we need to find us a place of our own." He leaned down and kissed her before stepping back from her. "Okay, I gotta go. I'll call you in a little while to see where you are."

She nodded and watched him walk out of the dorm and down the hall, already thinking about checking out the real estate listings. Happy was right. It was time they had their own place.

_________________________________________

Happy sat in the booth behind Jax, Opie, and Chibs with Juice and Bobby in the small Chinese restaurant in Lodi. Across the table from Jax sat Henry Lin, and he didn't look thrilled to be there.

Henry spread his hands out on the table in front of him and shook his head. "Your intel has to be wrong, Jax. I don't make a habit of putting a hit out on competitors, let alone women."

Jax nodded before pulling a piece of paper from his kutte and laying it on the table. He tapped it with a serious look on his face. "This email tells me that you do. Now, either this was you, or someone in your organization is looking to climb the corporate ladder. I don't really care which it is, but I'm telling you now. Prudence is a friend of the club, and so is the woman that was mistakenly shot. We've taken care of the shooter, but I want your word that you'll sort this out. The next time you see us we won't be this friendly."

Henry read the email, his face showing only anger. He took the paper and folded it up, placing it in the pocket of his suit coat.

"You have my word. I'll handle this."

Jax nodded and held out a hand to shake. "I certainly hope that you do."

________________________________________

Jessie laid the newspaper in her lap and sighed. "I still like that empty storefront on Main Street. It would be perfect. Of course, I'll have to see the inside, but I just have a feeling that's the one."

Lucinda nodded and typed something into her laptop. "I'll find out who owns it and get their information."

Jessie nodded. "Thanks. I also need to find someone that can repair the front of my house. Also, I'll need to re-paint my bedroom."

Rocky shook her head and grinned at her sisters as they all sat around Jessie's hospital room. Tig had brought Pru back to town an hour before and Evie had stopped in the check on Jessie.

"You know, I said as much earlier to Hap, but I still can't process that all of us are finally settling down and near each other. Agnes would be overjoyed."

All of them chuckled and nodded in agreement as a knock sounded on the door. Tara stuck her head in and smiled before stepping into the room.

"I hate to interrupt, but I need a few minutes with the patient."

The women all stood and stopped to kiss Jessie on the cheek, each promising to come back the next day. When they had left, Tara turned to Jessie with a chuckle.

"You all are sure a lively bunch, aren't you?" When Jessie just nodded, she continued. "That's good. It'll keep the boys on their toes." She cleared her throat and stepped closer to the bed. "Somehow, I didn't think you'd want everyone to know your business but... your bloodwork came back. We ran a normal panel and everything was fine except... " She sighed. "Did you know that you're a diabetic?"

Jessie stared at the younger woman for a moment before shaking her head. "No. I mean, I've never been sick a day in my life." She shrugged. "Well, if you don't count withdrawals. Are you positive?"

Tara nodded. "Yes, I double-checked. I remember someone saying that you had been fainting a lot lately. Have you been fatigued, urinating a lot more than normal? Those kinds of things?"

Jessie nodded slowly. "Yes, but I thought it was just the heat."

Tara nodded. "That's diabetes. Now, it's not curable per se, but it is highly treatable. I'm going to set you up with a dietician because you will have to make some changes."

Jessie blew out a breath and nodded. "Okay. Thank you, Tara. If you don't mind, I'd like to keep this between us."

Tara sighed. "Your family can help you with... "

Jessie shook her head. "No. They have enough on their own plates. I'll take care of myself, but thank you."

Tara nodded and gave her a small smile. "Of coarse. If you need anything, or have questions, just let the nurse know."

Jessie nodded as she walked to the door.  Once she was alone, she let her head drop back against the pillow and closed her eyes, trying to make sense of everything that had happened.

________________________________________

Later that night, as Rocky snuggled into Happy's side, she gave a sigh of contentment before turning her head to look at him.

"Do you want kids?"

Happy looked at her and shrugged. "If I'm having them with you, sure. What about you?"

Rocky shrugged. "I never did before but all this talk about settling down has me thinking."

Happy chuckled and suddenly rolled, trapping her beneath him. "Well, Geraldine, no time like the present to start."

_________________________________________

This is the end of Rocky and Happy. Thanks for reading along! On to the next!

Missy