Chapter 9 - Polaroid

We stayed up chatting for a while before I leaned my head on Remington's shoulder. He put his head on mine and I was almost asleep when he carried me to a comfy part of the duvets and lay down next to me - his smile was the last thing I saw before falling asleep.

I awoke to the sound of a camera snapping a picture and a bright flash in my face.

"Em! You left the flash on, idiot!" I heard Seb scold before I groaned and opened my eyes. I could feel something warm against my back and realised it was Remington - he also had his arms around my waist and his face was buried into the crook of my neck.

I tried to sit up but his grip was quite strong and I was helpless. Luckily he woke up and I quickly scrambled to stand up to hide my embarrassment.

"Sleep well?" Emerson teased.

Remington didn't seem to know that he'd been practically spooning me and I was glad. Emerson still had the photo though which was embarrassing.

"Yeah thanks, who wants what for breakfast?"

I stayed to help the boys tidy up and ate some food, but I was going shopping with my friend May today so I couldn't stay for long.

"Thank you guys so much! Last night was the best and I'll come over tomorrow to rehearse."

Seb and I did our handshake we'd created a while ago because he only hugged people on rare occasions but I was fine with that. Remington looked a bit jealous that him and I didn't have a special handshake and hugged me extra tight which made me laugh at his pettiness.

As Emerson hugged me, he slipped something into my hand, and when I looked at it outside, I saw it was a Polaroid of Remington and I cuddled up asleep. I subconsciously smiled and slipped it inside my phone case.

I met up with May and we went shopping and had some lunch. I was looking at my phone when she asked me what the picture was in the back - I'd slipped the Polaroid in there after the sleepover because I had nowhere else to put it but I forgot my phone case was clear.

"Oh it's nothing."

"Is that one of the punk boys that lives next door?" May asked.

"Yeah that's Remington," I said, hoping she'd drop the subject.

"Omg is he your boyfriend!"

"No don't be silly. We were sleeping and Emerson took a picture. We didn't mean to end up like that."

May teased me for the rest of the day about Remington and I ignored it, but when I got home I found myself thinking about him a lot. He was so kind to me, and he was handsome, and we were really close. Maybe I did like him.

The next week at rehearsals, I'd started to see him differently too - I'd notice the way he made himself shake so his voice would vibrate, the way he'd headbang and grin whenever a fast instrumental part came up, he way he'd always eat Nutella during breaks and somehow manage to get it on his shirt every time.

Sebastian thought it would be a good idea if we recorded our songs instead of just playing them for ourselves, so we spent some time installing some equipment in their basement. It was kind of cool hearing the songs come together and we decided we'd send them off to places and sell cd's to try and make some money from it.

Remington always sat next to me on the sofa when we'd finished recording and hugged me extra tight when we managed to record a song in one take. I couldn't stop the butterflies he gave me. Sometimes I thought he was flirting with me, but never really believed it, because Steve had really knocked my confidence and the rumours about what had happened made me feel bad about myself.