Once A Kingdom's Flame (Part VII)

The sun had finally set and the two of you faced no ill encounters leaving the town and heading towards the back trade routes. You had wanted to save funds and take a single horse between yourself and the prince but he had opposed the idea. If trouble were to come, two steeds would provide a better resource for you to flee to safety.

It was a chilling realization. The two of you were thought to be dead; murdered by that soft hearted hitman. Neither of you were sure if the absence of bodies would convince King Enji of a successful kill. Though he had the prince's blood to show, the both of you were wary that the king would accept your ends. 

"We've made it." Shouto sent you a warm smile as he helped you dismount your steed. You looked around in awe at the bustling capital. The streets were busy and bright. You followed the street set beside a crystal blue river flowing through the town.

"How are we going to get into the palace and get audience from the prince?" Shouto's smile perked up into a slight smirk as his eyes shifted from you to the glistening castle at the far end of the town square. 

"Things are a bit different here than at home. Many areas of the castle are open to the public and the two princes need not don a disguise to venture off palace grounds. Just stay by my side, the one we are after is at one of only two locations at this hour." You nodded and followed beside him as you travelled through the lively streets. When you arrived at the palace, the guards spared no suspicious glances as you entered the grounds. "This way." Shouto took your hand gently and led you down a cobblestone path which wrapped around the western wall of the palace. "There." He nodded towards a small garden beside the stables. As you approached you made out the messy head of deep green hair of the prince as he tended to one of the horses.

"Just one moment." He chimed, hearing the sound of your footsteps. The sweet smile painting his face fell into a crooked frown of confusion and fear. "SH-SH-SHOUTO?!" He stumbled back, catching himself on the gate of the stable. "H-How...no...you cannot be...it is not possible!" His petite frame trembled as he attempted to steady his balance again. "You...are dead..."