Once A Kingdom's Flame (Part I)

You didn't think of yourself as anything extraordinary. Sure you were the daughter of one of the wealthiest noble families in the kingdom, but that's not who you wanted to be. You were raised given one purpose; become the perfect bride for the bachelor prince. Your nursemaid and nanny; your best friend you would even dare to say, Emma, read you wonderful stories in your bright childish years. She had baskets overflowing with books; old and new, thin and thick, leather bound and cloth. There was one book that you chose each night. A grand, heavy book; its covers were bound with vibrant navy cloth and inked with a golden shimmer that seemed to glow under soft candlelight. 

A collection of fairytales. Emma would laugh her beautiful laugh each night when you brought the book to her. She would ask 'Are you sure, m'lady? You aren't bored of these?' you would always respond 'No, not yet.' There were so many wonderful tales packed in the pages of that book. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid; you practically knew each one by heart. Line for line, word for word you would echo Emma's calming voice as she read. 

Although not legally royalty, you thought you were a princess as a young child. You lived a life quite fit for a princess and maids would often humor you and address you as 'my princess' or 'your majesty'. Besides, you were always told that you were preparing to be the perfect pick to marry the prince. You had nothing against the royal family. Your parents had met with them personally however you never accompanied them on their visits. 

As you matured you had shed yourself of the fairytale veil. Learning the evils and chaos of the world; your world, snapped you into reality. You didn't have the best reputation among nobility, in turn causing your parents to restrict your freedoms. You're smart. You could still get out at night, don the pants and blouse of a commoner and frolic among the drunken dances and slurred curses in local pubs. In fact, you made quite a few friends doing so. You did the unspeakable. You wiped the ale's foam from your lips with your sleeve, you ate with your hands, you gambled over cards, and you even had your first kiss with a palace stable boy. Those excursions were what you lived for.

It was the prince's 18th birthday and he had not yet found a bride. The palace had now opened up the search to the kingdom's nobility, not just other royalty. Of course that meant you were invited, well more like sentenced to attend his ball. 

Emma finished pinning your hair into taught, eye watering curls and put her hands on your shoulders gently. The carriage had arrived to take you to the palace. You wanted to be stubborn; act childish and refuse to move from your seat but you knew that would only bring harsher punishment upon you and Emma for not doing her duty in bringing you to the palace on time. 

As you left, every single person you passed commented on your beauty, but it didn't mean anything to you. The ride to the palace wasn't that long. You smiled to yourself, playing out scenes in your head of how you could cause beautiful chaos at this ball. Doings that would make it crystal clear how you felt about being a candidate for queen. Any of these entertaining plans would also crush your family's name to dust and although you resented your parents and your upbringing, you would never do such a thing to the household. 

"Invitation, please, m'lady." A guard politely bowed his head and took the envelope from your silk gloved hand. "And do not forget your mask." You quickly fit the lace mask over your face, almost forgetting to. As you would guess it was a masquerade ball. 

You had been stuffed into a (f/c) ballgown that matched your weight, probably even heavier. The enthralling music crescendoed as you approached the grand ballroom. You had to admit it was beautiful, and watching the colorful skirts fan out around dancing couples was indeed mesmerizing. You shook yourself out of the admiration and mapped out your route. Turn right, approach a table with fine crystalware offering golden champagne, chug one glass and take another, turn left staying against the wall until the glass double doors leading to what you imagined to be a terrace.