Once a Kingdom's Flame (Part VI)

"Where do we go...?" You asked quietly, looking down at the tabletop which you sat at. The dishonored prince sat across from you asking the same question himself. A local doctor dressed the prince's wound and the two of you settled at an inn for the night, staying in the room for the entire day.

"I can think of two kingdoms which will grant us asylum. The Yaoyorozu Empire is one; I'm acquainted with the young queen. They have a powerful militia but it's quite far, at the northern edge of the Torino Mountain Range. It would take a few days to get a letter to her but I know she would send out men to escort us safely to her border.

"The other option is the neighboring kingdom of Oulmite. We'd reach the border within a day on horseback, but..." He trailed off.

"But what?" You tapped your fingers against the smooth wooden surface. 

"Although there's no official war between The Todoroki kingdom and Oulmite there is tension, and now that people know my face on top of the fact that I'm supposed to be dead, I'm a bit hesitant."

"I never knew of any tension between the two kingdoms..."

"It's subtle. My father openly dislikes their king and has no qualms about making such announcements. Their king, however, is a fair and forgiving man who holds no ill feelings towards any nearby kingdoms. I am certain he would give us residence on his land; most likely propose to host us in the palace."

"Isn't that good? We'd be completely hidden from the public and have the means to live. I'd be happy to serve as staff to compensate the hospitality."

"It's not that...it's the eldest prince." Shouto sighed, curling his fingers into tight fists. "Katsuki and I don't see eye to eye, and we have some rocky history. He...really doesn't like anyone actually. Who knows what's pent up in his heart but he's bitter and hot headed. His younger brother Izuku, however, is a kind and thoughtful young man who follows the honors of charity quite seriously. I'm quite fond of him, if I am to be honest. His inner strength is very admirable."

"We need to leave this kingdom quickly so we can live. If you're confident we can get to Oulmite in a day, I'd say let's head there. I'm certain it will be much easier to begin contact with Yaoyorozu's queen from there."

"I suppose you are right. It's not yet dusk. I would prefer not to travel during the day but we've no choice. We must leave now." He took your hands in his and squeezed them gently. "I swear upon all honor that I shall protect you."