Chapter 5: Run

Kahlan

My ears were ringing.

I stood in the middle of the bathroom, deafening silence enveloping me like a cocoon. The razor stared at me from the sink, the metal gleaming under the lamplight-as if it were laughing at my weakness.

-And you thought you could do it.

Laughter echoed behind me, and my gaze shot up to the mirror. It was Casey's voice-her tone sharp and accusatory. She stood behind me, watching me with disgust in her whiskey brown eyes, glittering with a thin, grey film of sickness. Blood soaked every inch of her clothing, pooling down at her feet.

-You're pathetic.

The words were accompanied by a torrent of blood spilling from her mouth. Nausea made my stomach roil. Behind her, my mother's sharp blue eyes shot daggers at me, as what remained of her mouth twisted into a scowl. I knew that look. I'd dreaded it all my childhood. Disapproval-her perfect angel was failing again. Failing her.

I scowled and slammed my hands against the sink.

-Coward.

It wasn't fair. Casey should have lived. As should have my parents. She had been a vibrant, wild girl who hadn't been afraid to face life and live it to the fullest. I was a meek, hesitant wimp who couldn't do anything without mom holding my hand, and guiding my way.

They all should have lived. But fate had decided that it would be me.

-You owe it to them to end it.

Yet here I was, too scared to take the razor and cut.

I drew a shaky breath, the damp air suddenly too thick to breathe. Unable to stand the shrinking walls, I barged out into the tiny bedroom. I paced around, forcing the tears back. There too, I failed.

My next destination was the adjacent living room. Luna-I needed to talk to Luna. No, not talk, but argue with her. It seemed insane, but I craved the release screaming at her gave me-it was the only thing distracting me from the voices in my head.

They ceased all the same when I came upon silent emptiness. The cheap motel blanket lay crumpled on the floor beside the couch, illuminated by a ray of moonlight struggling to break through the crack in the blackout curtain. No Luna in sight.

-Did she... did she leave?

She'd left a couple of times before to get food, but she always let me know when she was about to go out. Plus, I was sure we'd bought enough food when we first checked into the motel. I uncomfortably walked to the front door-her oversized black coat wasn't on the hanger.

Terror racked its claws across my skin when I noticed that the backpack my aunt had left us was missing too.

-Did she... ditch me?

No way. She couldn't do that. Aunt Millie had said she was meant to keep me safe. She wasn't just allowed to up and leave.

Panic seared my veins with each beat of my heart. I immediately flicked the lights on, unable to bear the ominous darkness around me. I scanned the room, searching for clues as to where she might have gone. That funny looking wooden ball I'd seen her carrying around caught my attention. It sat on the coffee table admits a mountain of candy wrappers. It was only when I picked it up that I realized there was a note hidden underneath.

Luna's poorly spelled scribbles greeted me, informing me that she had gone out for a while and that she would be back soon. I inhaled, unwanted relief silencing the fear. I crumpled the note in disgust.