Part 3: Fire of the Soul, part 6

Nirel adjusted his handkerchief and walked away from the mirror. Just what was needed! The dark gray camisole with silver embroidery and metallic wristbands fitted him perfectly; it didn't tug or pinch anywhere. Nirel slapped his feet into long, over-the-knee boots of soft leather and smoothed his hair.

Only some final touches were still needed. The elf donned a signet ring with a sparkling stone on the middle finger of his right hand and hung a sheath encrusted with silver ornaments on his belt. It contained a long knife that matched his costume. Entering the ball with a sword was reserved for members of the king's personal guard only. The noblemen would have to make do with knives or daggers to confirm their status.

The invitation to the ball in honor of King Hudd's youngest daughter's fourteenth birthday caught him unawares; he wondered for a long time who could have assisted him in this matter. Getting nowhere, he gave up trying to guess. The answer would become apparent soon enough. He was very pleased that he would be visiting the palace today. He had several affairs that he might be able to take care of while blending into the hum of the occasion, and he did not want to miss the opportunity to make new acquaintances among high society.

"Get the bags," he called to his servant, and descended to the first floor of his dwelling.

***

The gargantuan double doors swung open, and Nirel stepped into the Ceremonial Hall. Two servants in full livery shut the doors and returned to their positions, like statues, awaiting the next guests. The huge hall was full of courtiers and nobles from the highest society of the kingdom, and the ambassadors invited from other states stood out as separate little islands of people. Dressed in their best, guests constantly whispered to one another, creating a ceaseless din in the room.

Nirel's eyes scanned the room's decorations. The high ceilings were lost among fake clouds. The floor was paved with tiles of various colors forming intricate patterns. The walls were covered with wooden panels of stained oak. He wouldn't have noticed them if it was not for the indescribable beauty of the carvings they contained, showing animals, birds, and plants. Many of the carved figures were adorned with precious stones and seemed alive. The leaves on the trees were lined with green malachite, jade, and rubies. The multitude of magical lanterns, ingeniously hidden among the panels on the walls and the cupola ceiling, brightly lit the hall and created a calm, cozy atmosphere.

At the far end of the hall there was a high platform with two thrones. A golden embroidered wall hanging decorated the back of the throne belonging to King Hudd. It portrayed the state emblem — a Eurasian cave lion standing on its hind legs. The second throne was draped with a white sheet. Queen Omelia had died three years ago of an acute fever. The life mages turned out to be powerless against the rare illness. As per the kingdom's traditions, they had draped the throne to indicate that the king was still in mourning and not seeking a second bride at this time. The elf supposed Hudd himself, through his agents and schemes, had sent his wife to Hel's judgment.

Nirel, hands clasped behind his back, calmly walked along the walls, responding to nods of greeting from a few courtiers. The head executioner was a fairly well-known figure. Many ladies' dark glances followed the debonair man as he went by. He had but to stand close, and their tightly corseted chests began to expand in trepidation as their fans fluttered ever more rapidly.

After wandering the room for a while, Nirel approached the state dignitaries, who were discussing various political news. He carefully listened to the topic of conversation and put in a couple of sharp-witted comments regarding the policies on Tantre, indirectly touching on Duke Lere. In passing, based on his experience with the same Tantre and the Patskoi Empire, he too suggested a few improvements in the organization of their foreign policies.