Part 1: Portar Voyager Part 4

One day, Andy came to Sergey's class with a puppy on a leash. Much to his relief, the dog's presence was met favorably. Sergey scratched and rubbed his shaggy sides and pet his wide forehead. He then told his student to fully accept his responsibility for another and learn to take care of his four-legged friend.

The puppy was a hand-me-down of sorts from Andy's older sister, Irina. The impulsive girl was prone to bursts of compassion and love for her fellow creatures. She fed stray kittens in the alley and pigeons and sparrows in their backyard. And when she found a little, lost puppy, she brought him home, intent on caring for him the best she could. Unfortunately, although she had the best of intentions, her interest in these new projects tended to fade quickly. Before long, she had abandoned the puppy to his own devices, which often consisted of leaving puddles and piles behind him. These, Irina flatly refused to clean up, and although no one wanted to take responsibility for Bon, they couldn't bring themselves to cast him back out on the street. Finally, their father, Iliya, delegated Bon to Andy and severely reprimanded his impulsive daughter, forbidding her even to go near other animals. "Love them from a distance," he instructed.

In a year, Bon shot up from a funny little puppy to an enormous canine, something like a cross between a crocodile and a puffed-up suitcase, weighing over a hundred pounds. Andy was Bon's mother, father, and kind master all in one, and, in Bon's eyes, the only commanding officer above Andy was Iliya. The hearty, big-boned man commanded respect by his appearance alone, but with a mastery of three languages and an advanced degree in physics, he was an intimidating figure to both man and beast alike.

Bon was a cooperative and loyal companion, always at Andy's side. During Andy's training sessions with Sergey, the canine behaved himself nicely and was never underfoot. Sergey adored the dog and even took care of him a couple of times when Andy's family took vacations to the seashore.

***

Andy returned from the bakery to a ruckus that included the strumming of a guitar and the sound of many voices. The entryway was full of backpacks and various kinds of gear. He then realized they'd been descended upon by the "Tolkieneers," as his father called them. Iliya was irate about his daughter's new obsession with elves, reconstructions, and cosplay, considering it all foolishness and nonsense. Irina and her equally odd girlfriends were learning Qenya and ordering custom-made elvish-style dresses online. They spent hours on the internet meticulously searching for the best fashions for role-playing games. Mom and Andy had no problem with Irina's new obsession and actually found it mildly amusing.

"Oh, Iliya," his mom tried to reason, "let them have their quirks."

"Andy?" Irina appeared in the entryway. "How about making something yummy for breakfast?"

"Yeah, right," Andy retorted immediately. Judging by the shoes left in the hall, there were at least five people over. He had no desire to feed that crowd.

"Ande-e-e-e, dear..." Irina pouted. "I've talked up your talent in the kitchen so much, they're simply drooling in anticipation. Now, they're going to think I'm just a bragger whose word is no good. Come on, be a dear. Do it for me? Pleeeease?"

Her palms together in a supplicating gesture, Irina gazed sweetly at her little brother and batted her long eyelashes.

Andy silently contemplated his sister. When did she have time to do her makeup? he thought. Fifteen minutes ago, she was sleeping like a log!

"You are a stupid bragger, but I'll do it this once," Andy relented. "But you're cleaning up!"

"You're the best, Bro! No doubt about it!"

***

While Andy clunked dishes preparing breakfast, a serious argument broke out in the living room as to whether a modern person could be transported to a fantasy world and how amazing the possibilities would be.

What's the fuss about? Andy thought. This portal voyager will probably end up knifed upon arrival, and that's it, the end. Or worse still, he would be captured and sent to work the streets or to a harem. What, you think they'll be waiting for you there with open arms? Get real!

In the end, the debating parties agreed that taking a stroll in another world would be awesome.

No one paid attention to the argument Alena, Irina's friend, put forward. She suggested the inhabitants of another world may not know of Qenya and may have another way of living.

****

Buy the full book on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2TNe6FI

Read for FREE on Kindle Unlimited