Chapter Thirty-Two - Knight in Shining Armour

Start from the beginning

"Helmet," Logan said with his arms out.

"Thanks Logan, for everything," I said, handing it back to him.

"See you on Monday Sorenson."

"Text me when you get home. It would be...unfortunate if you died."

"I'm touched," he said, a hand over his heart. "Night." As I entered the house, the low rumbling of the engine started to disappear.

My mum had left a note on the fridge for me:

I won't be home until tomorrow. I've left food in the fridge. I'll call you in the morning.

Love, Mum.

--

It didn't surprise me to find Elaine leaning against my locker with her arms crossed on Monday morning. The furrows in her brow eased once she caught sight of me and she hurried towards me. We'd already spent hours on the phone on Saturday, and I'd been surprisingly ok with what had happened on Friday night. No extra tears or anything. Even I was impressed with myself.

"How are you doing?" She asked, giving me a tight hug.

"I'm good. I'm actually good," I grinned.

"Good. Now you've got to spill," she said, hitting me gently on the arm.

"Spill what?"

"Well for starters, please don't tell me you spent the night at Logan's," she said in a hushed whisper.

"No!" I exclaimed. "I did not!"

She let out a sigh of relief. "Since when were you two the best of friends?"

"It's a long story. Very long story. But also, I kind of can't tell you because it's not really my story to tell," I said, a pang of guilt hitting me.

"Mmm, ok," Elaine nodded. "Rich people dirt I'm assuming. I hate his guts, but considering he was there for you, I won't break his nose."

"Told you she hated me," a voice came from behind me.

"It wasn't a secret," Elaine smiled.

"What will it take to earn your forgiveness?" He asked.

"I don't know. What does it take to stop being a dick?" She retorted.

"Ok kids, I'll let you sort this out. I'm going to be late for class," I said, heading off first.

Of course, I had human bio first. I hadn't spoken to Wes since he decided to ditch me. Guess it wasn't hip to be seen with the girl who'd date anything that breathed, even though that was true for half of the guys at the school.

Ok. Be cool. Pretend nothing happened.

Wes was already in his seat, looking pensively at his textbook even though there was probably nothing larger than a walnut in his skull. I set my textbooks down and flipped to the current chapter, wanting nothing more than for a spontaneous seat rearrangement. I'd have rathered sitting alone for the rest of the year than next to Wes.

"Hey Daisy," he whispered.

"Yeah?" I replied, not bothering to look at him.

"I just wanted to say -"

The teacher walked in at that moment, saving me from a discussion I didn't want to have. She kept us busy for the rest of class so I had an excuse to ignore Wes.

As soon as the bell sounded, I grabbed all of my things and pretty much bolted out of the classroom. Of course, I hadn't walked quickly enough. As I continued down the hallway, I overheard a few of the guys on the team talking to Wes.