Chapter Nine - Costumes and Masks

Chapter Nine – Costumes and Masks

We attached the alligator clip to the negative terminal of the battery and the motor whirred to life. "Yes!" I exclaimed. After a grueling four hours, it was finally running without dying or spontaneously violently shaking.

"Ok, I'm going to pack it up before it dies again." Holden picked up the motor and carried it to another room, probably putting it into his bag to bring the next day.

"Good for you," Parker muttered as his motor spluttered.

"Who's your partner again?" I asked.

"Celeste."

"So why isn't she helping you?"

"Because she doesn't care," he laughed. "But I'm on a 4.0 right now and I'd like to keep it that way."

"4.0!?" I exclaimed, probably sounding a bit more shocked than I should have been.

"Why? What's your GPA?"

"I'm also on straight As," I replied.

"Uh huh."

"Do you guys know how late it is?" Holden asked when he came out carrying a box.

We all glanced at the clock. It was twelve. "Good morning everyone," Holden grinned.

"I should get going. My mum is going to freak out. See you guys tomorrow," I said.

Holden walked me to the door and waved the car over. I gave him the 'seriously' look, but he insisted. "Play by my rules," he said. I got in. Just as he was about to shut the door for me, I held my arm out to hold it.

"Holden, don't forget to bring it tomorrow," I reminded him.

"Re-lax. I got it."

The driver glanced back and forth from his GPS to the streets, obviously slightly lost. We'd moved a while ago, but even I wasn't familiar with the way home. I was familiar with the routes to Pemberton and Marco's, and that was about it.

I spotted the gigantic oak tree near a bus stop and I knew we were at the right street. "Left here I think," I said. The driver nodded and the GPS seemed to agree because it didn't tell us to turn around.

"Thank you," I said when he dropped me off.

"No worries Miss. Enjoy the rest of your night," he said.

I reached into my backpack and grabbed my set of keys, trying to open the door as quietly as possible in case my mum was already asleep. Although, that was unlikely, given that group assignments didn't usually take all night.

"Done with the assignment?" She asked, looking up from her laptop.

"Yeah, it works now," I replied, setting my backpack down. "What's with the luggage?"

"Um..." She began. "Grandpa is unwell. The doctors don't think he'll last the week; that's why I was planning on flying out tomorrow, if I can buy tickets tonight," she replied.

"Oh my gosh. Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"I only found out this morning." I could see her eyes watering up, but she looked away and sniffled before looking back at me, pretending that we both didn't know what had just happened.

"But I'll only go if you –"

"No, mum. Go. I'll be fine," I replied.

I hadn't grown up around my grandparents, so they weren't awfully close to me, but I knew they meant the world to my mum.