Chapter Three - Holden Vermont Likes Chicken Tenders

Surprisingly, Marco had given me a job and scheduled my first shift for the following day at four

Surprisingly, Marco had given me a job and scheduled my first shift for the following day at four. The first three shifts would be mainly training, but I was fairly certain things wouldn't be too hectic. My role was just to take orders and bring them out. Luckily, I wouldn't have to actually make the food.

Me and cooking did not go well. The last time my friends and I attempted to make pancakes, they ended up looking more like scrambled eggs.

Just before I was ready to call it an early night, my phone started vibrating wildly on my bedside table. The caller ID told me it was Amy. I was so glad, I nearly knocked the phone straight off the table as I slid across the bed to reach for it.

"Ames!" I exclaimed.

"You sound excited to hear me," she remarked, laughing. "How's the Pemberton life?"

"Not bad. Not bad."

"Found any cuties yet?"

"No," I laughed. "What about you?"

"Well, no new guys, so just the usual. That makes it an automatic 'no'."

"I'm working at a pizza joint though."

"Would never have pictured that. Do they sprinkle gold in their pizza too?"

"The suburb is super nice, but it's only the school that seems hell crazy. Some of these kids are really rich."

"Find yourself a rich husband. Find me one too so I can live life easy."

I laughed. I wondered how I was going to survive senior year without Amy.

"Any assignments or tests coming up?" I asked.

"Essay next week," she groaned. "When on Earth would I have to write an essay in my future career? What about you?"

"Building a physics motor. In pairs."

"Oooh! Who's your partner?"

"Holden. I forgot his last name, but apparently a big shot here."

"He cute?"

I groaned. "He's alright."

"That's your code for 'melt the sun' hot isn't it?"

"Whatever. Odds are he'll be a snob, and so will his friends, and life will be hellish until I finish this assignment."

"Ah, there's the ol' Daisy negativity."

We chatted until about 12 because apparently, it was inappropriate to be up so late on a school night. She assured me that she'd call again the next day, but only if I managed to send her sneaky photos of Holden. Yeah, right.

I really didn't have any problems sleeping in a new room. Every night, I was out like a light, and every morning was a continual struggle to get up on the first alarm. The next morning, it took me exactly four alarms and three snoozes before I got up.