Evergreen

Apollo, heartbroken had been searching for Daphne for days, while she was hiding in her fathers domain. He stalked the forests around Parnassus relentlessly, he never gave up, the love that Eros had cursed him with fired his determination to find his maiden. He walked the dirt tracks, searched in the thickets and trekked through the rivers to find her. Days had passed and he was tiring, he decided to travel to Mount Olympus to bathe and change, while up there he lamented in his failure to find Daphne. One morning as he sat himself on one of the many lookouts, he noticed a sweet singing coming from the forests around Parnassus. He quickly bolted down and started his search once again, soon after, he caught sight of fair Daphne. Like earlier he decided to keep watch from afar, stalking her as he admired all of her fine details, the scents of cotton and cedar wood indulged his fantasies. He was captivated and besotted. So much so that he made the same mistake as before and did not watch where he was going.

A twig shattered beneath Apollos foot.

The short sharp snap echoed and tingled in Daphne's ear. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up sharply, her eyes widened as she slowly turned round to check on what made the noise. There he was, Apollo, in all of his godly glory. Even the arousal of the presence of a god couldn't seduce Daphne, she gasped and bolted off like an Antelope running away from a hungry Lion in the plains of Africa.

'No! Sweet Daphne, come back! I wish to talk with you!' cried Apollo. 'You know who I am, I can make you the happiest bride in all of Greece, my powers are limitless and I can give you many children and a long and happy life!!'.

Daphne was gone, Apollo had a speech prepared for her, but she didn't want to hear it. She ran through the forests, her footing became unsteady as the terrain became dangerous at such speeds. Apollo chased after her like a greyhound would chase a rabbit. She could hear him not too far behind her. She sped up and the wind caught a hold of her white dress, it flapped in the wind exposing her milky white legs, her red hair beat along with every step and gust of wind. Her neck pulsed with fear and determination to escape the clutch of Apollo. Her arms frantically dodging the sharp branches giving her balance to stay upright exhaled her scent to which Apollo could follow.

He chased her, he knew he had to make her his wife, he was so unconditionally in love with Daphne. His smitten mind caught her scent and he was desperate to close in on her. He hastened his steps and there she was, he was getting closer and closer and closer.

Daphne, was making her way to the river which belonged to her father. She knew her strength was failing her, she knew she wouldn't be able to escape the desires of a god. She was getting closer to the river Peneus, but the wretched scent of Apollos breath was also closing in on her. She refused to look back, the mere sight of Apollo repulsed her. As she approached the river, now in sight, she threw off her dress, threw her headband to the ground and dove in. She breathed.

After catching her breath she cried to her father, 'Oh father, help me please! May the ground swallow me up so I can escape the clutches of Apollo!'. Peneus saw his beautiful daughter, pale and exhausted in his waters and felt pity on her, he had to give her what she desired.

'My Daughter I wish to see you in this world rather than drowning in river Styx' Peneus selfishly claimed, he loved his daughter and couldn't bare the thought of her being gripped by Hades. 'But I may have a solution for you'.

'Anything father, quick hurry, Apollo is here!' Daphne screamed.

Apollo arrived at the riverbank to see his darling Daphne crying out to her father, as he approached the river and Daphne approached the bank she went numb. Apollo caught her and balanced her up.

Her fathers magic took grip of Daphne, as Apollo stood her up her nimble legs which so finely ran from him sunk into the moist dirt. They joined as one and grew thin, her skin turned from a milky white to a tree bark brown. Her shapely arms lifted and became one with her head as she started to sprout green leaves rapidly from her torso and head, she expanded into a finely shaped Laurel tree. She grew tall and proud. The foliage blossomed into a fine and beautiful sight, just as fitting for Daphne. It happened so quickly that Apollo couldn't even steal a kiss from her. 

Apollo, full of anguish, released a single tear. He was still so in love with Daphne, he caressed her and gave his tear to her roots. 'My dear Daphne, have my essence and may your leaves stay Evergreen, so people may enjoy your beauty all year round'. He went to kiss her trunk but the tree still shrank away from his love. He knew Eros' magic was still active and he could not have her still. He exclaimed, lifting his arms to the sky, 'Oh Daphne, since you can not be mine in love, may your tree be known as Apollo's tree, you shall sit in every fine house in Greece, you shall be part of every procession and greet every visitor to all the temples', he wanted her to be known all over Greece 'and may your leaves adorn my head from this day on, I will carry you everywhere, you can see the sights I see and you can smell all the scents of the world'.

Daphne heard the sweet words of Apollo, she swayed in the gentle breeze and the bush of the laurel nodded to Apollo in agreement. From that day forward she sat, twinned with his hair.

The End.

Did you like this short story? I'm striving to make myths, especially those smaller and lesser known stories more palatable and enticing than their previous descriptions from Classic Authors. They deserve to be retold. Well let me know by placing a vote or a comment!

Thanks so much for reading!