An Unlucky Coincidence.

Nimbly making his way through the wild forests in Phocis, Apollo was travelling to Parnassus, a sacred mountain dedicated to him and his muses. He was soaking up his glory in the mid afternoon sun, full of pride and arrogance, he felt on top of the world. He had just slain the mighty Python, whose poison was destroying the lands surrounding his beloved Parnassus. He used his mighty archery skills to kill the beast. Lost in his own thought and travelling at quite a speed, he ended up colliding with the God Eros, known by some as Cupid, as he was out practising his shooting skills deep in the Forest.

'OUCH!!' Yelled Eros, 'Watch where you're going Apollo, I could have shot something unworthy!' Eros frowned as he tidied his thick curly brown hair.

'Oh Eros, no need to get heated young man', Apollo was also slicking back his disturbed golden locks. 'Tell me, why on this green earth do YOU need to practise shooting skills?'

'It's my favourite thing to do, it passes the time' Eros replied, his blue eyes and porcelain complexion brought about jealousy in Apollo.

'Well Eros, I think we better take the bow and arrows off you, men your age shouldn't be playing with such grown up weapons, like you said you could have shot something unworthy, give them to me, i'll make good use of them, see I've just slain the terrifying Python that was ravaging these lands!'.

Eros frowned in disbelief, 'Apollo, you may have a talented arm and bow, but listen here, my arrows can do much more damage than yours, just you wait and see'. Eros then exposed his saintly ivory white wings, pushing Apollo back, beating them slowly at first, quickening his pace and off he went towards the azure sky. Apollo shrugged, he was used to empty threats and carried on making his way to the peak in Parnassus.

Eros flew high in the sky, he glided past the peak of Parnassus toward the glistening sun that was being pulled by Helios' chariot making haste as to not give Apollo time to get suspicious. Once high enough, he used his his hawk like vision to scan the land, he spotted Apollo, who hadn't travelled far from the place they just were and then just a little north of Apollo he spotted a fair maiden who had strayed too far from home, her name was Daphne.

Daphne was a tall woman, she too had porcelain skin with icy blue eyes, her hair burned with the amber tones of fire and her lips, plump and full. She wore a delicate and simple silver tiara as her birthright made her a princess. She was the daughter of the river god Peneus. As a young child she grew up lavishly, but one day, as many young maidens did, she decided to join the goddess Diana and become one of her faithful nymphs. She spent months with Diana, taking part in forest sports and bathing in all the waterfalls around Greece, she loved it, she idolised Diana and wanted to become just like her. It was on this fateful day that she volunteered for all the other Nymphs to go searching for honey. She left early that morning and started trekking through the wilderness, as she strayed further from her home, she decided to travel south as she heard rumours that the sweetest nectar was made there, blissfully unaware of what was to come.

She eventually came to a stop, around mid afternoon, to eat and rest before carrying on her search for the sweet honey. That's when, out of nowhere she was hit in the back, she felt a sharp pain just like she had been shot with an arrow. She grabbed her head and collapsed to the floor. When she awoke just minutes after, she realised she just had an epiphany. She knew what she had to do, she was to remain a virgin so she could be more like her idol, Diana. She developed a sudden feeling of disgust toward men, the mere thought of a man repulsed her, she didn't want to be near a potential love match.

Eros was giggling like a child in the sky, for moments before he was the one that laid an arrow made of lead in Daphne's back. The lead arrow was responsible for Daphne's new mind set and wonderful ideas. Eros did this on purpose, as he fashioned a sister arrow, one which was beautifully carved, made of rosewood and swan feathers. This arrow would make whomever he shot fall deeply and madly in love with whoever the lead arrow struck. Eros pointed the arrow in the sky, he drew back the string and released the arrow towards the open blue sky. He watched as it spiralled back down to earth, perfectly making its way to its desired target, Apollo.

As it struck Apollo, Eros smirked and flew away, knowing his magic arrows would cause Apollo suffering. Eros had gotten his revenge.

Apollo was overcome with desire, he felt it in the pit of his stomach, his head was dizzy and he began to float. The rays of sun beating down only enhanced his desires, he was bombarded with images of a woman with fiery red hair and icy blue eyes. He immediately hit the ground running, filled with a burning passion to find this woman he darted all around the wild forests of Phocis in a wondrous daze. Hours passed when he decided to take his path north, he could feel it in his heart that he was getting nearer to the woman who made him go crazy. He darted between trees, rivers and canyons, his upper lip thick with sweat, nothing was stopping him. That's when he heard it, the sweet singing of a young woman, he stopped and listened before tip-toeing towards the voice and that's when he spied the fiery red mane of hair. His eyes lit up and he kept watch. She eventually turned around her icy blue eyes hit the sunlight and Apollo burst with love, he had found his maiden.

Apollo stalked her for hours, Daphne unaware. She kept on searching for the honey she so craved. It wasn't until Apollo, so caught up in his love, trod on a branch which snapped and made a loud noise, that Daphne turned around too quickly and caught sight of Apollo. Filled with disgust at the thought of a man and potential lover, she heard stories of mortal women being seduced by gods and whisked away never to be seen again so she darted from the man who she immediately suspected of being a god. She ran fast and hard all the way back to her fathers river. A lucky escape.

Apollo couldn't keep up with her and lost sight of Daphne, he was devastated and spent the next few days searching for his fair maiden.

During this time Daphne spent her days with her father Peneus who she thought would give her the best protection from men and gods; but he was adamant that Daphne was overdue to get herself a husband and give him a grandson.

'Oh father, please don't badger me, men are a plague on Zeus' land' loathed Daphne.

'But daughter, you owe me a grand son, when will this happen?' Peneus remarked, he had set up a dinner the previous evening where dozens of suitors were invited and lay torches to his beautiful daughter, all of which she rejected.

'Darling father, I wish to remain a virgin, just like the great goddess Diana, please allow me to dedicate my life to her, it'll mean so much to me!', Daphne, full of hope and pride asked her father this simple favour. He just sighed, lifted his brow and walked away. No answer was given to Daphne who was so desperate to deter men and remain virginal.

A few days passed and Daphne grew bored yet felt somewhat safe again to roam the forests. She tied her wild mane of hair up with a simple headband and went frolicking in the green woodlands, she spent hours enjoying the lairs and thickets unaware of what was about to happen.

As she stopped to take a sip of water from the canister tied to her waist another branch snapped behind her....