They didn't know what they were intruding on.

We found spots on the bleachers. The rival team was warming up on the court, their shoes squeaking against the gym floor. Voices echoed as people called out to their friends and tried to find their own seats.

I was sandwiched between Nolan and Hannah, who pouted and complained about being the only single one among us. When she said she hadn't been kissed all school year I almost let it slip that I hadn't either.

Nolan and I faked our way through the game the same way did at football games. Basketball fans didn't generate half the energy as the football fans, but it was still fun.

During half time, as people were going on bathroom breaks and grabbing snacks, Nolan and I were left alone to make sure no one stole our friends seats.

The cheerleaders did a routine to entertain the crowd while we waited for the game to resume and the Grizzly's mascot, Cedric, took photos with horrified children. Nolan leaned over, whispering in my ear so I'd hear him over the music, "I miss football season."

"Me too," I agreed, motioning to the players on the bench. "Their pants aren't even tight, how am I supposed to rank their butts?"

Our laughing was interrupted by Zane Banks, who was basically paparazzi for our school's yearbook, as he came down the aisle to us. "Isn't it one of Bellcreek's top six"

"Top six?" I questioned, looking up at him.

"Yeah, rumor is they're cutting the king and queen nominations down to six lucky couples," he explained, fidgeting with the camera that hung from his neck. "A lot of people think you'll make the roster."

Nolan turned to me, grinning like he just like a kid in a candy shop. God, I loved his smile. Hopefully, Zane's information was right. I didn't know what would happen if we didn't get a chance at the crown.

"What do you two say to doing a kiss cam?"

If Zane noticed how stiff I got at the mention of a kiss cam he didn't let on. He was too busy wiping down the lens of his camera, to care apparently. I looked up at Nolan. My mouth was dry because all I could think about was his.

"Don't you need a jumbotron for that?" Nolan asked. He didn't seemed fazed by the question. Maybe he was just a better actor than me.

"It's for the year book," Zane told us. "It'll make sense once you see it. Come on. Just a quick one."

When Nolan looked over at me I noticed he wasn't as calm and collected as I thought. His brown eyes frantically searched mine as if asking what do.

Zane was persistent, his camera was set up to capture the moment. "Don't be shy. Do it for the yearbook."

Nolan gaze locked on mine. "Do you..."

YES! I wanted to scream. Instead I pointed to an impatient Zane. "I don't think he's leaving until we do."

"I'm not," he said from behind his camera.

That was enough for Nolan to press his lips to mine. However, that kiss definitely wasn't enough for me. It left me wanting more, just like that accidental kiss in the photo booth. It was quick, over in nanosecond, but I thought about it long after the game ended.

Thankfully everyone was too drained from the game talk on the ride home, so my silence wasn't out of the ordinary. I was the last to be dropped off by Nolan. As he drove from Bee's house to mine my mind kept replaying the kiss.

"That was one hell of a game," Nolan said once he parked in my driveway. "Coach was a dumbass for not putting Carlson in that last quarter. Everyone knows he got the best defense."

My brow raised. "Who did you steal that line from?"

"Justin," he announced proudly.

I laughed. "Of course."

It got quiet. I should've gotten out of the car by now, but I didn't want to. What I wanted was to the creek. Maybe get a proper kiss.

"I hope my nacho breath wasn't too bad," he said, more to his hands than me.

He was still thinking about it, too? I bit back a smile. "It was a sacrifice I had to make for the sake of the yearbook."

Another silence fell over us as we awkwardly grinned at each other. My phone broke the moment. Bee's name flashed across the screen as it rang. Now I had no choice but to leave. Once I was in my room I scolded Bee for your bad timing.

* * *

I stayed up replaying the kiss in my head. I wondered how the picture looked, if you could tell it was our first kiss.

Kissing Nolan, however brief, jolted something awake in me. My fingers itched for a paint brush and canvas. I needed to release whatever was happening in my chest. My mind flashed with different colors as I drag myself out of bed at four in the morning.

I dug the supplies I finally got around to buying from my closet. The paint still had their protective seals, the brushes were soft and new, the canvas a bright white. The supplies weren't as high quality as I was used to, but they'd do for now.

I set up in the garage. Shades of blue, orange and yellow covered the canvas as I let whatever pooled inside me to spill out. Each line of Nolan Chamber's face made it onto my canvas along with all the bits and pieces that pushed me to fall helplessly in love with him.