Chaos Theory

DISCLAIMER: I GAVE UP ON WRITING DISCLAIMERS.

"Have you sent it yet?" Hermione asked, turning to Maximus.

He nodded carefully, "Yes, he should be replying in a few days time I think."

"Okay."

Maximus got up from the chair and walked out of the Slytherin common room. He'd been spending some time with Hermione and Abraxas and it surprised him how different Abraxas was when around her. Yes, his condescending, rude behaviour remained, but he seemed calmer in general, not that he liked her, but more like he saw past the blood barrier that he used to hold so dear. Abraxas hated her kind, that was for sure, he used to make constant remarks about how fun it'd be to see a mudblood being sacrificed, or how much lower they were in status than house elves. Despise didn't even come close to describing how he felt about them, so why, in Merlin's name, did he act different around her? Could it be perhaps that he was pretending for the sake of finding Tom? No, Abraxas had always been a very blunt person, he wouldn't have hidden away his contempt for the sake of that. Could it be that he actually didn't care about her heritage? Perhaps, but Maximus would be lying if he said he cared. He didn't see it either way, he never really cared much for the war of heritage and hatred, he found it irrelevant in all honesty. But he was a follower of crowds, and so he went with those who his parents believed would do him good, people whose lives were so empty that they could do nothing but hold onto the things they'd known most in their lives, hatred and envy.

XXX

Alexander smiled at Rose and she giggled. "What're you smiling about?" She asked, twirling a flower that'd he'd given her between her fingers.

"Nothing," he replied with a shrug and a small smirk.

"Oh really?"

"Yeah really," he smiled and lay back onto the cold wet grass. It was mid-day the two were sitting near the dark lake, talking over the plans they had for their summer, after all, it was only a week away.

"Hey, Rose, could I ask you a question?"
"Sure," she shrugged.

"What is- or was Abraxas to you?"
Rose looked up at him, perplexed. "Why?"
"Well, you two were always hanging around with each other and then you two just stopped, that's when he started going around with her."

"What, who?"

Maximus shrugged. "I don't know, that Bellouve girl. He started going around-"

"Hermione Bellove?"

"I think that's her name, yes."
Rose sat up and stared down at Alexander with wide eyes. "So that's who he left me for...?"

Avery shrugged again. "What's the big deal? You weren't together, were you?"

"Not exactly but in a way we were. I-I thought he cared about me, well, in his own way at least." Rose could feel tears pricking at the back of her eyes, no you will not cry, you will not cry, you will not... a tear ran down her cheek. Alexander sat up and wrapped an arm around her waist; she placed her head on his shoulder and wiped the tear away.

"I'm sorry, I-"
"No need, it's unfair what he did to you."

"Merlin, how could I be so stupid?"

"You are not stupid, Rose, how as the one at fault here. He should feel bad, not you. He is the one at fault."

"I-I know that, I just don't understand how I could fall for him. I hate him, I hate him, I hate him." She ran a hand through her hair and wiped away another tear.

"You should, I wouldn't be surprised if you wanted him dead." He sighed and held her hand.
"I do, I do want him dead." She sniffed and turned to look up at him.

"Then let's kill him."
"What?"
"Let's kill Abraxas Malfoy."

She found the wheels in her head turning, she knew he meant it. She knew what it would mean to kill hi, but she was blinded. Blinded by awe for Alexander and hatred for Abraxas. At that moment she felt that perhaps it wouldn't be the worst thing if he was gone from her life, the boy she loved ever since she'd first set eyes on him, the boy who had broken her heart for a fucking mudblood; he needed to pay.

"Let's do it."

XXX

Hermione raised her wand at Abraxas, and he raised an eyebrow at her.

"Seriously?" He asked, looking up from the book he was reading,

"Yes seriously, get up."
"I'm not duelling with you, Hermione."
"Why, in Merlin's name, not?"
"I don't have a reason to. I don't want to. It's absolutely ridiculous. The list is endless, really."

"You're no fun."
"I don't try to be. Now go read a book or something."
"No." She snatched away the book from him, and he glared up at her.

"Hand it back."
"No." She began backing away from him, waggling the book mockingly.

"Fine." Abraxas sighed and leaned back in his chair. "I'll play, but I'm not duelling with you."
Hermione jumped into an armchair. "What're you going to be doing during the summer?"
"Nothing important I suppose. I'll keep writing to Darnaeus and I'll write you to keep you updated, but I doubt I'll do anything important. Why?"

"Will you be spending time in Diagon Alley?"

Abraxas though for a moment, cocking his head to the side. "I suppose I will, why?"

"I was thinking maybe we could hang out, or something." She fumbled with her fingers, her wild hair falling in front of her face as she did so.

"Are you suggesting that you want to spend time with me outside of school, for other reasons than finding Tom?" He raised an eyebrow and smirked at her. Hermione frowned.

"And if I am?"

"Who are you and what have you done to Hermione Bellouve?" He laughed at her, and she hit him playfully with the back of her hand.

"No, seriously, Abraxas."

He gave a sigh and looked up at her, as small smile graced his features. "Why not? Sure."

"Good." Hermione handed him back his book with a soft smile, and just as the two began to settle into a comfortable silence the sound of hurried footsteps coming towards the common room startled them. The listened as the footsteps neared and the common room door slid open, revealing a very startled looking Rose Macmillan. She panted heavily as she held onto the door frame, doubling over a bit to catch her breath before she straightened up and ran over to Abraxas and grabbed onto his arm.

"Something's happened in the forest, I need your help, please!" She begged, her eyes were wide and filled with tears and her fingernails were digging into his arm. Abraxas could do nothing but nod and let himself be pulled up and dragged away by her, giving Hermione a final worried glance before she pulled him out of sight.

XXXX