✧ Chapter 9 ✧

(Y/n) = Your name
(S/n) = Surname / last name
(E/c) = Eye colour
(S/c) = Skin colour / skin tone
(H/c) = Hair colour
(H/l) = Hair length

~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~

My last day working in the corner cafe..

I expected my departure to be succinct, but to my dismay it was far from it.. Due to lack of staff and such short notice, they had nobody else to cover my placement. And so begins the dreaded but equally anticipated last day.

I desperately wanted to make my final day memorable by doing something to spite Mio. But I eventually decided against it, as their establishment was less than a ten minute walk from my house. Making enemies in my own hometown wasn't the best idea.. And for this reason, I was moping around the store miserably, completing my jobs to the bare minimum.

But thankfully, Jotaro chose today of all days to show his face once again.

"Two coffees." He placed the order with Mio, who seemed more than pleased that he was finally talking to her again. She narrowed her eyes at me, smirking quite smugly, as if she were trying to provoke me more than she already had.

I whipped up the first coffee in seconds, then prepared the second as Mio delicately adorned it with cream. She lowered the cup onto a matching saucer, an extra biscuit and teaspoon placed beside it. She smiled softly to herself at the sight of her miniature masterpiece, turning to clean up the spats of cream covering the countertop she had previously worked at.

I took this opportunity to place the the second not-so-fancy coffee down onto the tray, and snatch it up before Mio had a chance to serve it to him herself. "Hey!" I could hear her protesting behind me, yelling in a hushed tone of voice so she didn't seem desperate in front of her 'beloved Jotaro-San~'.

His table was situated at the back of the store by the last row of windows, a perfect view of the beach to his right as I suddenly appeared by his left. "Your order, sir." I chuckled quietly to myself as I gently placed his coffee down in front of him, then the second at the opposite end of the table.

He didn't respond, but glanced up at me expectantly. I didn't understand why at first, momentarily believing I'd forgotten something from his simple order. "Who's the other coffee for? Are you meeting Kakyoin today?" I decided to make light conversation before I returned to work, soaking up all the extra time that I had to spare before returning to the workstation.

"You." He stated as if it were obvious, picking up his cup to take a light sip.

My grip on the silver tray had subconsciously tightened, my head tilting to the side out of curiosity. "For.. Me?" I couldn't help but ask. He nodded, setting his cup down harshly onto the saucer, almost spilling it over the cup's rim in the process. "Yare yare daze.. Do you want it or not?"

I gratefully took the vacant seat opposite him, revealing a perfect view of the fuming Mio at the opposite end of the cafe. A small smile crept onto my lips as I took my first sip of the beverage. (I normally hate coffee, but I was so tired that I needed something to keep me awake/I love coffee, so it was refreshing to finally have one and relax for a while/etc).

I didn't realise how much I needed a break until the moment I set the cup back down on the saucer, a contented sigh escaping my lips as I relaxed into my seat.

"You look stressed." He commented, his eyes fixated on the beach just outside to avoid making eye contact with me. "That would be an understatement." I rolled my eyes slightly at the mention of it, tracing circles around the rim of my cup absentmindedly.

"Why?" He inquired, pressing his elbow down onto the table to rest his chin in his hand, propping himself up as his gaze now turned to me a little curiously. I paused, my eyes scanning his in an attempt to read the unidentifiable emotion pooling out of them. Was he asking out of concern? Or maybe it's out of pity. "It's my last day here." I finally announced.

He quirked a brow amusedly, but hid it soon after underneath the tilting of his cap. "I wasn't able to quit right away. And on top of that, Mio hates me more than ever." I chuckled satirically, shuffling to the other side of the booth, closer to the window to try and escape her enraged glare from across the room.

"Will you work in the library instead?" He questioned airily. I shrugged. "Maybe. I've also been looking at the equipment shop by the beach. I know a lot about surfboards, and I'm a regular customer too." I sent them an application form, but have yet to hear back from them. I'm not sure what I'll be doing by this time next week. "But the library seems most likely at this point."

Jotaro nodded, silence now falling over us. We enjoyed our drinks in peace, the silence only adding to the comforting aura, if anything. I was trying to mentally prepare myself for the angered Mio, who I had to inevitably face alone once Jotaro was gone. So I savoured my drink as much as I could before I had to return to work.

"I should get back to work. Mio is probably missing me already." I joked lightly, standing up from my seat as I downed the last few drops from my cup. I noticed that Jotaro's cup was already empty as I was collecting the dishes to place onto the tray. Did he wait for me to finish my drink before leaving..?

Jotaro allowed me to clear everything up before piling out of the booth too, readying himself to leave. "Thanks.. I needed that." I beamed in his direction, now feeling more confident and energised, ready to take on the rest of the day. "Don't mention it.." He mumbled quietly, almost inaudibly, before lightly brushing past me to leave the store.

"Bye Jotaro-San!" Mio waved dramatically, but he didn't even glance her way as she did so, leaving the cafe without another word. Once the door shut, the entire store fell eerily silent. "Why you little-..!" And for the rest of the evening, I had the luxury of listening to my dear friend Mio rant about me to my face. Good times..

~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~✧~