Chapter 22: Dreaming With A Broken Heart

It's like everything went silent around me. Adam, Reese, Ryan, and Anna raced out the door to see what happened. I jut stood at the door emotionless, speechless, and my mouth hanging open as my heart pounded against my chest.

     "Maddi!" I very, extreamly quite voice called to me.

     Slowly it came into focus. It was Adam trying to get my attention before I went into shock.

     "Maddi!!" He kept getting louder.

     "Maddilyne Leigh Brown!" He finally said snapping me back to reality.

    I snapped my head to him and stared at him.

     "Call the cops!!" He yelled across the street.

     I nodded slightly and pulled out my phone. I never changed expression, or took my eyes off the car that hit Justin. It looked too familiar. I took my phone out and finally broke my gaze to look at the phone and dial 911.

     "911, What's your emergancy?" A lady asked.

     "Yeah, um. My frien- er, some one  I know has just been hot by a car. I think he is dead." I said.

     The lady proceeded to ask where I lived and who I'm with. She told me to stay on the phone until I heard the sirens. I only waited for about 2 minutes before I heard police and ambulance sirens wailing.

     I hung up and walked out as the cars pulled up. By now, there was a crowd of people surrounding us. I slowly approached the scene and my heart dropped when I saw who was in the car.

Kara.

     I slipped past Adam who was trying to talk to me. I walked right past Reese and Anna who were bawling their eyes out. I walked right up to the side of the car to see Kara leaned against the steering wheel with blood streaming down her face. I couldn't move. Is she dead? I just stood there wide eyed staring at my bloody best friend.

     "Ma-Maddi? What is going on?" She leaned up from hr steering wheel trying to look around.

     "Kara! It's okay! You will be okay! It's just a misunderstanding." I said desperately looking at her with pleading eyes.

     She looked like she tried to say something, but not before her gaze started to shift away looking emotionless.

     "Kara!! Kara! No!!! Listen to me! Stay with me!" I yelled as loud as I possibly could.

    Adam saw and ran over and stood behind me watching.

     "Kara, you gotta listen to me!! I'm sorry! I didn't mean what I did at Mardi Gras! Just stay with me! KARA!!" I was sobbing and shaking uncontrollably.

     She just looked at me never moving with a blank stare.

    "Kara?" I whispered out of breath.

     Then the paramedics ran in front of me, pushing my out of the way. The rushed to get Kara out of the car and put her on a wheeling bed. I dropped to my knees, landing in shrapnel of car parts and glass scraping my knees.

     When I saw the paramedics start to reel her into the back of the ambulence I got up and ran to her calling out her name trying to get to her to at least say one last good bye.

     Right as I almost got there and the paramedics were bracing them selves to keep me away, strong arms wrapped around my waist and held me back as I thrashed around yelling for Kara and trying to break free.

     No one spoke a word. It was dead silence. All you could hear was sobs of others and my screaming. Adam was holding me back.

     "KARA! NO! Don't leave me!" I yelled as I watched them shut the door and drive away with Kara and Justin's body.