Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

"and…" She lifted my hair and snapped the choker in place, sighing with pride. "...you are done."

I pulled the end of my braid over my shoulder and smiled brightly. "Thank you, Aunt Jenna," I said.

With a nonchalant shrug, she grinned, leaving my room. I glanced at my reflection one more time, fiddling with my hair until I felt it was perfect. Noticing a pair of blue orbs shining from behind me, I spun around. "What do you think, Beks?" I asked, waving my skirt around.

Rebekah walked a circle around me and smiled. "It's gorgeous, and would have cost a small fortune back in the day," she said.

I scrunched up my nose, avoiding the topic of cost, and slid into my flats.

"Hey, those are not period accurate!" Rebekah huffed, arms crossed.

I rolled my eyes, tossing my skirt over my blue flats as Rebekah came to stand beside me, facing the mirror, her chest rising as she sighed heavily. She ran the back of her hand over her cheek and down her neck, staring daggers at her absent image. "You know, I miss being able to see my reflection. Although, I guess — with how long I've been daggered — I doubt I'd wanna see what I actually look like," she said, sorrowfully.

I glanced at her reflection, seeing her as easily in the mirror as I did standing beside me. I had never fully understood why she could not see herself but guessed it had something to do with the fact that, essentially, she wasn't here. Only her soul traveled to greet me from time to time. I still had no clue why I was the only person who could see her, yet, had never been able to do the same with her brothers, Finn and Kol. Both were in the same state she was. I bit the inside of my cheek and watched her stare wistfully at my reflection. The sickly grey skin around her blue eyes, wrinkled with sadness. I turned towards her and smiled weakly.

"You're still as beautiful here and now, as you ever were, Bekah. Even if a little grey."

Rebekah laughed, stepping away from the mirror as she brushed the hair from her eyes. Though she tried to hide it, I noticed her glance at the mirror one last time, her hand coming to hover over her chest. I knew, wherever her body lay, that was the spot where the dagger sat; buried in her heart. I was grateful that I didn't have to see it when she was in this form. Since it was her soul that came to find me, the taint of the dagger would always be absent. The dagger had been created with dark magic and was unable to travel with her. Unlike what some believe, vampires still possess souls, and dark magic can not latch onto an uncorrupted soul. The only way dark magic can corrupt someone's soul — is if they allow it — and so far Rebekah had not succumbed to its temptations. I shut off my lights as I slipped out of my room.

"Those shoes are still not period accurate, ya know," Rebekah said, voice sing-song as she stared down at her nails.

I started down the hallway, tossing my head back with a moan. "Yes, I know. For future reference, I only need one blonde nipping at me over every small detail. I already have Caroline for that, dear sister," I said.

Rebekah released an affronted scoff, as I headed down the stairs. "Excuse me, did you just say you had replaced me?"

Stopping in my tracks I spun around, rolling my eyes. I looked over Rebekah's face, taking in her wide watery eyes and pursed lips. She was feeling insecure for some reason.

"Rebekah Mikaelson, you are much too old for such childish nonsense. You know I could never replace you. You are my sister. What I meant is: I don't need two people constantly harping me about the little things. I'll keep Caroline for that, you just be there for when I screw up. I need you for the "I told ya so" speech and then to subsequently help me save my ass," I said, smiling up at her from the steps below.