domestic violence

"It's out of love and fear for them

"It's out of love and fear for them." - Literally every parent that hits his kids ever.

Violent discipline at home - otherwise known as domestic violence - is the most common form of violence children experience. Almost on a daily basis. 63% of children experience physical violence, 67% experience psychological aggression and 75% experience any type of violent discipline.

Caregivers rely on violent methods in order to align their children's behavior and to punish for unwanted or unaccepted actions. They don't necessarily do it to intentionally inflict harm or injury on their off springs. Rather, they do it out of anger and lack of understanding of the negative impact their violence has on their children, and the complications they may experience in the long run.

47% of children get shouted, yelled or screamed at. 15% get called 'lazy' or 'dumb'. So, there is always more than just the hitting and spanking. Psychological aggression can greatly affect the child's confidence and lessen his feeling of self worth, later resulting in the upbringing of an insecure teen struggling with his image and incapable of self love and acceptance of who he is. Wonder why many young adults are insecure nowadays. Oh and by the way, this study was done on children aged between 12 and 23 months. Yes, only 1 year of age.

Parents can be bullies in a way too.

Perhaps you may have not experienced violence directly while growing up, but maybe you've seen your parents fighting before

Children can also be subjected to violence indirectly , specifically when they grow up with an abused caregiver, or witness it taking place. These children are more likely to act aggressively towards their siblings or peers, and to carry that violence into adulthood. In turn, it could be passed down to their children, and the cycle of abuse would go on.

Have you ever experienced any form of domestic violence?

Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences in the comments. Your stories could greatly help and inspire others that are going through the same hardships you went through. Be their light of hope. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.