Chapter 5

Not edited.

Ethan's pov

Holding Hannah's hand he walked slowly to the alphas house. Today was the day he would tell them he wasn't going to return to his position of pack doctor. His heart wasn't into the idea anymore. Regardless as to how much he'd wanted to be a doctor he felt like he was betraying Holly. He couldn't save his mate so what right did he have to save someone else? It wasn't right. She needed him and he failed her... miserably.

He looked at the house standing in front of them and recalled the last time he'd entered it. It had been three years. Three years since Cam had rejected the beautiful Janella. Cringing to himself he felt ashamed that he'd thought of her that way. He felt like he was betraying Holly to even consider the beauty of another woman. Holly had encouraged his friendship with Janella. Only a woman who was sure of her relationship would do that without the worry of betrayal. There seemed to be something she'd wanted to say but she seemed happy to encourage the bonding between the two of them. She wasn't even surprised when he broke down and told her that he'd kissed Nellie. She was so accepting and he recalled how she smiled. Smiled! He'd kissed another woman and she smiled! He'd felt so guilty that he didn't want to go to the clearing to say goodbye to her. Holly made him go. She was a very determined woman. He didn't understand why she was so calm about it all, just saying they'd formed a bond and that Janella was far more important than he realised. He questioned what she'd meant but the only reply he got was that he would understand one day. He was confused then and he was confused now at her reply.

Shaking his head he looked down at Hannah who was looking up at him with a toothy grin and his heart melted. Hannah had him wrapped up, tied down and twisted round her little finger and in all her cheekiness she knew it. She was the only person he allowed into his broken heart.

Knocking on the door they waited till they were let in by Luna Clarice. Her smile as she saw them was full of warmth and friendship. Taking them into the kitchen Ethan was surprised to see Misty sitting at the table with Paul having a cup of tea. He smiled softly at the memory that flashed before him.

"Ah Ethan, come in, come in. We were just catching up on family. How are things with you and Hannah?" Paul stood and shook Ethan's hand in a surprising move.

"Great, she's running the house like she owns it." Laughter filled the room as Clarice sat Hannah up at the table with some milk and cookies. She squealed in delight and they all laughed again.

"You sure have a beauty there. I can see alot of problems in the future with young wolves being after her."

"No one will go near my girl!" Ethan snarled.

Paul smiled at him "Spoken like a true father."

Ethan smirked "What can I say, it's my job" and he shrugged.

"Speaking of jobs, have you considered returning to your position yet?"

All eyes fell on Ethan as he swallowed deeply. "Thank you for the offer Alpha, however I must decline. I am no longer interested."

Silence filled the room. Each wanting to speak in an effort to convince him. no one knowing exactly what to say until Clarice spoke softly "Are you sure Ethan? it's what you always...."

"I'm sure Luna. I no longer feel that I am able to do the job as it's required of me. My focus now is on Hannah and her needs. I'll decide about the future when the time is right, just not now."

"Is there anything you want to do? Any interest?" Misty asked.

"Holly...." he faltered "Holly and I spoke of travelling the world together. I want to do that for her. I want to cross off everything she had on the list we made together."