XXVI - Agent X

The light of the communicator started to blink again. Dargan asked the two to hide in the bathroom, so they wouldn't be seen.

"Sergeant Dargan, I couldn't find you around the school" Agent X said as soon as he showed up on the hologram.

"The risk was great and there were many Terran soldiers there", the spy replied.

"Did you get anything?" He already knew the answer.

"I got the girl and she's safe. But there's a problem: her grandmother was with her and I had to bring both."

"This is not a problem, it's a solution. You have just captured Merko's wife. One more point for us. Congratulations, Sergeant Dargan. Luck seems to be on our side. We're going to the hotel where you are."

And before he knew how, four men knocked on the door of the hotel room where they were. They were tall and strong, wearing navy blue suits. Agent X was among them. Dargan opened the door:

"How's it going, Sergeant? I see you have everything under control."

"Finally, we meet, Agent X. Who's your leader?"

"I report directly to the command of our mission. I was sent here by the same person who sent you."

"You mean Commander Fizard?"

"No! Colonel Fizard's no longer on our team. He returned and lives with his family. He's retired."

"I don't understand. Who's the boss now?"

"Don't worry. At the right time you'll speak to him, personally. You'll be well rewarded for fulfilling the mission for which you were appointed. Maybe this will give you another promotion."

Lorena and Helen were listening quietly behind the door. They were scared. The grandmother hugged her granddaughter and told her not to leave her side. Before they could even defend themselves, two of the men invaded the bathroom and imprisoned them in their arms.

"This lady seems to be sick. It would be wise to leave her here," Dargan said, pointing to Lorena.

"My granddaughter's not going anywhere without me," the grandmother replied firmly.

She didn't know where the courage came from, but she wouldn't leave Helen for anything in her life.

"We can end this right now. She doesn't have any importance to us", Agent X said.

Lorena hugged her granddaughter again. They both knew these men weren't joking. The spy pretended to agree with everything, but something bothered him more and more. He had been sent to investigate Captain Merko and his life on planet Earth. Now, he had been forced to capture a girl and didn't even know who those men really were.

Helen invaded Dargan's mind and felt his suspicions. She was confused about his real goals and decided to speak telepathically with the alien.

"You're thinking these men aren't what they say."

"Girl from Earth, are you reading my mind? Stop it now. If they really are from my planet, they can notice what you're doing. We need to be careful."

"My grandfather will come back and finish them all. But don't let them hurt my grandmother."

"We'll take the girl and the woman to the base and use them as bait to get Commander Merko," Agent X interrupted the telepathic conversation.

"In this case, I want to go with you. I look forward to seeing the others on the team. It's been a long time since I've been alone and I can't take it anymore", Dargan said.

"The orders are for you to stay here watching the arrival of our target. Let us take them in safety."

"Agent X, I just want to see the staff and meet the new boss. Then, I'll return and continue my mission."