Chapter 25

Merek knew that Arthur would have a council meeting this morning, but he wisely chose to stay away. Instead, he put everything he could into shining the armour Arthur would have to wear for his coronation. He had a feeling that he wouldn't be particularly missed at the meeting.

Merlin followed Arthur into the council chambers with his disguise up. He and Arthur had decided that they would wait until after the coronation to make every announcement, lest they try to take Arthur from the throne before he's even on it. Therefore, they weren't going to reveal his identity to the council yet, either.

As Arthur swept regally into the room, the council members whispered about Merlin, who stood in his old place behind Arthur's chair as Arthur sat at the head of the table—his father's old spot.

"I'm sure Gaius has informed you all that my father passed away last night. I hope to be everything he was and more as a king, and I hope you all support me. I realize I am young yet, and you may not think me fit to be king. I wish you all to know that I will not be alone in my decisions, and that I will rely on the advice of several advisors."

He noticed that a few of the councilmen looked quite smug at this, assuming that they would be one of the lucky advisors, carrying more weight than they already did as a member of the council.

"I'd also like you all to know that none of these advisors will be from the council that sits before me now," Arthur chose his wording carefully, because Gaius would be one of these advisors, and he was absent from the council at current. "Your opinions will still be valued, of course, and I will consult you before any major decisions. But my advisors will be people I trust with my life, not just my tax policies.

"Now, Geoffrey, I assume you are making preparations for—" Arthur took a breath, "for my coronation?"

"Yes, your highness. I am making arrangements."

"When is the earliest we can do it? I don't want to leave Camelot without an official king for very long. Other countries may already be planning to attack in this perceived moment of weakness."

"I could have everything ready as soon as tomorrow, sire."

"Good. We shall have it tomorrow, then. Are there any other pressing matters of court that cannot wait until after that?"

"Your highness...who is that behind you? None of us can see his face properly, it's almost as if it's changing constantly..." One of the lords spoke up.

"His identity will be revealed when I deem it proper to do so. For now, all you need to know if that he is no danger to you or I. Now, if there is nothing else?" A moment of silence passed. "No? Well then gentlemen, I believe I must be off."

He left a slightly dumbfounded council behind his, Merlin following. He went to his chambers and sat on his bed again, not knowing what else to do. As he sat, he felt a piece of parchment crumple underneath him. He'd forgotten about it. His father had demanded a piece of parchment and a quill, plus a bit of wax before they had talked. His father's request was that he open it with Morgana present, after his death.

He hadn't even thought about it after that, too wrapped up in his father's other confession. He supposed they should open it now. He wouldn't have anything else to do before tonight.

"Merlin, could you get Morgana?" He received an odd look in response, but Merlin did as he was told. A few minutes later, he returned with Morgana in tow.

"Arthur, what in the world do you need? Just because you may not have anything to do right now doesn't mean I don't!"

"I was under the impression that you just sit around and do nothing all day, actually."