He released a strained chuckle, but it was wet and made Mabel concerned. "Al?" she asked, her voice sounding garbled and distorted even to her own ears. "What's wrong?"

He bowed his head and pulled her left hand up, lips touching the ring. "I cannot do this again, Mabel. You are not allowed to do this. Not again," his voice cracked, and her heart broke.

Managing a weak smile, she tried to reassure him. "N-no, Al," a particularly violent shiver ran down her spine, making her teeth clack together, "We ha-have to get m-ma-married, still. Ya know?"

"Yes!" he latched onto the that, even as the pace he rocked them grew faster. "Yes, we will be bound. I will even do an Earthly ceremony if you would like, Little One. I will wear one of those dreadful ties. Anything." A tear ran down his face, and she felt some brewing in her own eyes.

Seeing her strong, unbreakable demon so worried . . . he didn't deserve that. "Just you, Al. Bu-but if you don-don't mind, I'd like a little wed-wedding. I want to eat-t cake, and wh-wha-whatnot."

"Of course, Little One. You will have five cakes. Or more. As many as you want. Whatever you want. Always. Thora!?" he bellowed the ala's name, his eyes pulling away from Mabel's while he did. He relaxed only minutely when the serpent-woman slid to a halt in front of them, her breaths harsh.

"I found it!" She exclaimed, holding out a small, dark bottle filled with liquid. "Here, Mabel, drink up."

Mabel's hands were shaking so badly she couldn't have taken it if she'd tried, and Aleron was quick to pull it from Thora's grasp.

"Yes, Mabel," he commanded, bringing it to her lips, "drink." She couldn't answer, as the vile-tasting liquid was already slipping down her throat.

Once the bottle was drained, Aleron pulled it from her lips and Mabel coughed as the liquid settled in her stomach. "Nasty," she wheezed, praying she didn't vomit it all back up again.

Aleron remained stern. "I know, Little One, but it will make you feel better."

He wasn't wrong about that, Mabel realized. She had already begun to feel warmer, and she wasn't quite so tired. Her injured arms, however, were beginning to make themselves known. The stinging continued to grow until she was biting back tears.

"What is it?" Aleron asked urgently, his keen gaze darting over her body and stopping at her arms. His eyes sparked with fire, but he kept it well-hidden when he returned his sympathetic gaze to hers. "I am sorry, Mabel. I will take you to our chambers, and Thora will heal you."

Mabel tried to smile, but all she could manage was a grimace. "Then a bath?"

"Yes, my Little One," he stood, cradling her in his arms carefully and kissing her temple. "Then a bath."

***

Once Thora had finished patching her up, Mabel was left with gauze-covered arms and a clingy Aleron that hadn't stopped touching her since they'd been reunited.

She was lying in his (our, she reminded herself of what he'd said, her inner teenage girl giggling giddily) bed once more, and Aleron was next to her, lying on his side, one hand covering her stomach, the other propping his head up so he could watch the rise and fall of her chest closely.

"Are you better now?" his voice was gentle and timid, like a little boy afraid of rejection.

Mabel grinned lovingly. "Always better with you, Al. Kiss?"

His entire body relaxed finally, as if he hadn't been able to convince himself earlier of her well-being, and a few words of normality had done reassured him. "Always, Little One," he returned, leaning over and kissing her softly.