Chapter One

5 Months Later

**** **** **** ****

You are cordially invited to the wedding of Miss. Alice Howard and Mr. Henry Reyes on the third of March, the year of our Lord; 1899 A.D. Please arrive at Trinity Church no later than 3:20 P.M. since the ceremony will start promptly at 3:30. A ceremonial ball will be held after at Reyes Hall; 665 Fifth Avenue, New York City.

**** **** **** ****

"It's confounding that Alice is getting married isn't it?" Ms. Ruth Parker remarked as she finished reading the invitation. The card was printed on expensive paper with the trademark two roses intertwined. One stood for the Howards, the other stood for the Stewarts.

"Married? So soon?" Mr. George Parker glanced up from the newspaper he was reading. The pipe that was dangling out the side of his mouth wobbled as he spoke.

"Shocking isn't it?" Mrs. Parker replied. "Everybody will surely be conversing about this. Three months is most definitely not a long enough time for mourning. Even though the date was already set, they should at least postponed the wedding until next year."

"I'm never getting married," William, the Parker's youngest child pipped up. He was lying on his stomach on the Oriental rug Mr. Parker had bought on one of his travels to Asia. After months of deliberate planning, Mrs. Parker had decided on placing it in the library. The dyed woven strands contrasted greatly with the beige coloring of the walls, yet it still looked appealing in some peculiar way.

Mr. and Mrs. Parker laughed.

"Why is that Willie?" Elizabeth, his older and the Parker's eldest child, teased.

"Girls are annoying," Willie looked up from the colorful picture book he was reading. "Stevie's little sister always wants to play with us. But we don't let her."

"You're only five," Elizabeth said. "You will be changing your mind after some years."

Willie shrugged. "Stevie and I made a pact to never get married."

"Now, now, now, do not make promises that you know you cannot keep, Willie," Mrs. Parker warned. "I'm sure Mrs. Heywood would not like to hear that her son was thinking of such ridiculous notions."

Willie pouted. "They're not ridiculous!"

Mrs. Parker opened her mouth to further argue before being interrupted by her husband.

"Ruth, there's no point in talking to the boy about these things now. He's too young to understand," Mr. Parker cut in when he sensed his wife was about to reprimand his son. "Willie's mind is still that of a child. He'll change his views as he ages. In fact-" Mr. Parker gave Willie a knowing wink, "when I was his age, I made a vow to never marry too. But now look at me; happily joined to a beautiful woman who gave me two magnificent children."

"Humph," Mrs. Parker grumbled but smiled at the compliment.

Mr. Parker sobered suddenly. "Even though I do not know, nor understand all the rules of society, I do believe it is a tad too early for Alice to be having her wedding."

"I most definitely agree," Mrs. Parker piped up. "Especially after the tragic death of Lorena."

The Parkers lapsed into a sudden silence. The tension over the topic of Lorena's demise hung heavily in the air.

"I'm sure Lorena would love that her sister is marrying Henry," Elizabeth said quietly. "She always did have a soft spot for him."

Before Lorena had died, she and Elizabeth had been very close friends. In fact, when the news came that the drowned victim found in the Hudson River had been none other than Lorena Elise Howard, Elizabeth had refused to believe it. After all, it was only a fortnight ago that she had been at her house, sipping tea and gossiping about the dashing Frederich Griffin who was expected to return from college; unmarried and still as handsome as ever.