27. Ash

8.25.19

"I want to go home," I told Alex quietly.

He turned his head around to look me directly in the eyes. We had been cuddling silently for a few minutes, his body molding into mine perfectly. "Are you sure?" he inquired, his emerald green eyes staring deeply into my soul.

"Of course I am. I like being here, but it isn't the same when it's so empty."

"I can see that. Let's leave tonight, and we'll leave Alice and Hannah here. They were hardly accepting of you, I don't think they will take nicely to living in a camp full of vampires."

"You're right."

He nuzzled back into me and began to play with the hem of my shirt cutely. His eyes seemed distant, so I began to become more worried about him. I don't want him uncomfortable with anything, ever again. "Are you okay?"

"What? Oh yeah, I'm fine," he muttered convincingly, and it was enough for me to know that he was alright. I just hope that there isn't something deeper bothering him. I don't want to find out that he's lying to me, that would seriously hurt. "There's going to be a storm later," he changed the subject quickly, but I didn't really mind.

"You can feel that?" I wondered aloud.

"Yeah. You know what would probably be a good idea?"

"Hm?"

"We should try to figure our abilities out at least a little bit."

"You're probably right. I still can't tell what mine are," I lamented with a tiny laugh. It's true, neither of us is very knowledgeable when it comes to our abilities, and it's high time we change that up. From what the prophecy says, we will need to have some information about them for the final battle, and I'm pretty sure that it could be dangerous for both of us to come into the fight with no ideas at all on what we were supposed to do. We need solid planning, or this conflict could turn out in a bad way for both of us.

"Well what have you done with them so far?"

"Eh, I went crazy on my father that one day. I've stopped one of your storms."

"Really? I mean, I've witnessed what happens if you don't stop me... I almost fell off of a roof. The other one was proposed to save me from a coven of angry vampires looking for blood. I don't think those two things are solidly connected..."

"Yeah, might have to do more research on that." We burst out laughing at my cluelessness in unison. I loved his laugh so much; it was like the highlight of my day, maybe even my life.

He settled back into me slowly, his eyes half closed. "You're so comfortable."

"As you say, baby boy," I murmured back, running a hand through his hair. Yeah, I'm not going to be using that nickname again, it feels too weird. He unconsciously leaned into my hand, his eyes popping open back into their old, bright selves. The moon began to rise very slowly outside the room, and I couldn't help but smile. "We made it through another day," I stated obviously.

He flashed a bright smile as well. "We did. Together," he breathed.

We moved together to sit up while he scooted off of me. I took his hand in mine and smirked. "You ready to go home?"

"Yep."

With that word, we threw open the window. I leapt out first before sticking out my hand to assist him, and he slowly slid off of the window sill into my waiting arms. We ran into the woods hand in hand, the wind whipping around us. The night time air, damp with dew, rushed through the trees overhead, creating a gentle ring through the woods.

Alex took off my hoodie, and there was a quiet popping noise before I was running next to a brown wolf with his shining emerald eyes. He gave me a goofy wolf grin before sprinting away into the undergrowth in the direction of camp. I smiled with glee before also running after him with as much speed as possible. I already knew that he was faster than me in human form, so I had figured he would beat me by a long shot as a wolf. However, I ran as fast as I possibly could without running face first into any trees. His wolf seemed to be pretty playful, and I was already in love with the large wolf as he weaved between trees. The feeling of being truly free rushed throughout all of my veins, but I ignored it to just focus on him. I soon reached a clearing with a panting Alex in it. He looked at me, and his voice rang, clear as day, through my head, "could I have the backpack with my clothing in it?"

I took it off of my back and held it in his direction, where he grabbed the strap between his teeth. A cheeky look entered his eye, and he shifted back right there in front of me. It wasn't that I hadn't seen it before, I was just shocked. All of the blood in my body rushed up to my cheeks while he put on some of the clothes in the bag. He sent a quick wink in my direction before walking the rest of the short distance to the camp in human form. Cheeky bastard.

I followed him in, grabbing his arm as soon as I was in range. He dropped his pace ever so slightly to match mine, his signature smile on his beautiful face. My mother walked out quietly to meet us, her eyes bright with happiness at our, or mine, I couldn't tell, return. I still don't like her...

"I'm so glad you two are home! Both of you. Alex, dear, I do apologize for misreading you on our first visit, it's just... I didn't want my first born son to be taken advantage of. Speaking of which, Ash, your father and I have some news to share with you. Follow me."

I walked after her, turning at the last minute to see that Alex had stayed behind. I jerked my head roughly to tell him he could come, but he politely shook his and turned to walk away. I turned to follow my mother into her tent and found my father there also. His warm smile lingered on his slightly chapped lips.

"Welcome back, Ashton," he welcomed me back with unusual cheer in his voice. I hadn't heard him talk like that since I learned how to use the bathroom.

"H-hi?" I muttered awkwardly. Damn it, I shouldn't stutter. I was supposed to be strong.

My mother stood beside him with her fingers wrapped tightly around his and a smile so large it crinkled the edges of her eyes.

"Ash... I'm pregnant," she exclaimed, the excitement surrounding her words. I stood still for a moment, my mouth probably hanging open. She... What?

She stood patiently while I processed what happened. I'm going to have a baby sibling? I wasn't expecting this. Maybe they'll take over the coven whenever I inevitably have to depart to live with Alex? They'll probably also be able to have heirs...

"That's great," I eventually cheered, hugging my mother. Even she is taller than me, how did I get to be this short!? Curse genetics.

My father joined our hug gently. I could have sworn someone was lingering by the door, but they must've walked away before I noticed them completely. I have to go tell Alex the good news!